Balancing of reciprocating masses

• Thread starter monty37
  • Start date
In summary: Overall, at low to medium engine speeds the inertia force dominates the resultant force. At high speeds the resultant force is dominated by the inertia force.
monty37
my book gets this expression for inertia force of the reciprocating masses of the engine

F=(R/g)ω.ω.r(cosθ+(cos2θ)/n) ,but there is no derivation given as to how he gets the accleration part,is it using the accleration diagram?and why should n be involved,
n supposed to be the l/r ratio.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What book and what type of engine? An inline, a V, a radial a ...

Thanks
Matt

the book is theory of machines by abdulla shariff
well this expression is a general expression for a common reciprocating engine..
later using the same expression..other formulae are being derived for v and radial engines.

The formula is derived by writing piston displacement as a function of crank angle & then differentiating it twice.

And you should get a good book.

ank_gl said:
The formula is derived by writing piston displacement as a function of crank angle & then differentiating it twice.

And you should get a good book.

+1

This was the way I did it in my thesis.

is thomas bevan a good book ?
in another book,an accleration diagram has been drawn and this formula is
shown..but tell me why consider n(l/r ratio)?

Becuase that alters the acceleration characterisitcs of the piston. The longer the rod the closer it gets to sinusoidal motion.

That equation should explain perfectly why you were having trouble asserting that pistions had SHM.
pistonacceleration.jpg

inertiaforce.jpg
Where Z = R/L

I lumped my terms differently, and its negative becuase I set the convention that inertia forces acts oppoiste gas pressure forces (ie it resists pistion motion). As you can see as 1/Z tends to zero, (ie as the conrod gets longer and approaches infinite) you get closer to SHM. The higher the 1/Z Ratio the flatter the acceleration curve at BDC.

Last edited:
i get it now..does the same force act during every stroke of the piston?

Bah. EDIT for the post above, the labels on the graph are the wrong way round.

When Z tends to zero you get closer to SHM.

Silly mistake on my part.Well it depends what you mean by is every stroke the same? For a certain crankshaft angular velocity (RPM), the acceleration characterisitcs and therefore the force are the same.

The cylinder pressures vary throughout the cycle which alters the resultant force on the piston and rod.

monty37 said:
i get it now..does the same force act during every stroke of the piston?

Do you mean suction, compression... by every stroke? If so, then no, same force doesn't act. the graph posted above is acceleration of the piston when crankshaft is rotating at constant angular velocity. Engine is a different animal, motion of piston causes the rotation of cs. You can get a plot of pressure inside a cylinder during a complete cycle. Try heywood.

Force acting down Cylinder Axis due to Gas Pressure
pistonforce-1.jpg

Resultant Force over all 4 strokes
resultant.jpg

Note that the above was a low to medium speed engine speed. At high speeds the inertia force dominates the resultant force.

Also stictly speaking each cycle undergoes minor variaction, due to slightly alternig GPF. For the typical analysis cases this can be conveniently ignored.

Last edited:

1. What is balancing of reciprocating masses?

Balancing of reciprocating masses is a process in which the unequal forces and moments produced by the reciprocating motion of a machine are equalized to reduce vibration and improve performance.

2. Why is balancing of reciprocating masses important?

Balancing of reciprocating masses is important because it helps to minimize vibrations, which can cause damage to the machine and reduce its efficiency. It also improves the overall performance and lifespan of the machine.

3. What are the methods used for balancing of reciprocating masses?

The two main methods used for balancing of reciprocating masses are graphical and analytical methods. The graphical method involves drawing a graph to determine the amount and position of balancing masses, while the analytical method uses mathematical equations to calculate the required balancing masses.

4. What are the consequences of unbalanced reciprocating masses?

Unbalanced reciprocating masses can result in increased vibrations, which can cause damage to the machine and its components. It can also lead to increased noise levels, reduced efficiency, and shortened lifespan of the machine.

5. How can balancing of reciprocating masses be achieved?

Balancing of reciprocating masses can be achieved by adding balancing masses at specific locations on the rotating parts of the machine. These balancing masses are calculated based on the magnitude and direction of the unbalanced forces and moments. Another way to achieve balancing is by using counterweights or by modifying the design of the machine to reduce the reciprocating forces.