Balancing Peace Corps Service and Graduate School: Pros and Cons

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
Helical
Messages
74
Reaction score
0
Is it advisable to go into the Peace Corps if you are planning on going to graduate school? Can it help or hinder you? It seems like you might forget information but at the same time it's something I've wanted to do for a long time.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't go into the Peace Core just because you want to use it as resume fodder. Random resume items not at all related to your field of study in grad school will not be of that much use.

If you actually want to do it, then I say go for it. It could be the experience of a lifetime. Good Luck!
 
G01 said:
I wouldn't go into the Peace Core just because you want to use it as resume fodder. Random resume items not at all related to your field of study in grad school will not be of that much use.

I would think very few people would join the Peace Corps as a resume booster, and that's why I said it's something I've wanted to do for a long time. So it doesn't look good to have volunteer experience like this to graduate schools; does it look bad, will I forget everything learned as an undergraduate if I'm out of school for 2-4 years?
 
Well, it can't possibly look bad to have the Peace Corps on your resume. I'm just saying, if you were doing it only for the resume boost, then it wouldn't be worth it.

You may need to refresh yourself on some topics before you take up school again, but I don't think you'd forget everything. I think it'll definitely be possible.
 
It will certainly not hurt you. You just have to make sure you are ready to go back to school after a two year stint in a 3rd world nation. PC will give you some invaluable experiences. It will reduce and defer your student loans if that is an issue for you. It can help you brush up and or become fluent in a foreign language depending on where you work at. Also dependent on where you work, you may be able to do things slightly relevant to your studies. Many countries need help with computer stuff which may look good for you. Also many need help in engineering topics like water purification and environmental issues.
 
Also, there are plenty of other ways to help humanity other than the peace corps. I had looked into joining a few years back, but it was like signing up for the army; you had to stay for so long. I mean I know that the types of things you do take a lot of time, but I would have thought that they could have used me for 6-12 months, but they wanted years from me!