Ball on String Elastic Collision

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two steel balls hanging from strings and colliding at the bottom of their swings. The problem is solved using conservation of energy and momentum equations. The final results for v1' and v2' are -v=2v2' + v1'.
jzwiep

Homework Statement

A 250 g steel ball and a 500 g steel ball each hang from 3.5-m-long strings. At rest, the balls hang side by side, barely touching. The 250 g ball is pulled to the left until the angle between its string and vertical is 22 degrees The 500 g ball is pulled to a 22 degree angle on the right. The balls are released so as to collide at the very bottom of their swings.

What angle does each ball rebound?

Homework Equations

Conservation of Energy
U = K' ----> K = U'
Conservation of Momentum (at collision)
p1 + p2 = p1' +p2'

h=L(1-cos(22))

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the v for both immediately before the collision by:

U=K'
v=sqrt(2g(L-Lcos(22))

Then used that value to find v1 and v2 after the collision with:

-v=2v2' - v1'

and

3v2=v1'2 + 2v2'2

and got two quadratics:

v2
and
v1

I plugged those v values back into the K = U' formula and got:

Theta 1: 14.6636
Theta 2: 8.45

Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Show the equations you solved.

For substitution into the second double variable formula:

v2'=(-v+v1')/2

v1'=(2v2'-v)

For turning the v' values back into angles:

h=v2/2g

theta=arccos((l-h)/l) (where l is the length of string)

Anything else? I'm not really sure which equations you meant.

Anyone? I tried working through it again, and ended up with the same wrong answer. It's due tonight. :(

What did you get for v1' and v2' in terms of v?

ehild

jzwiep said:
Then used that value to find v1 and v2 after the collision with:

-v=2v2' - v1'

-v=2v2' + v1'

What do you get for v1' and v2' in terms of v?

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
-v=2v2' + v1'

What do you get for v1' and v2' in terms of v?

ehild

Thanks, that did it. Just out of curiosity, where did I go wrong deriving the original formula?

mv -2mv = 2mv2' - mv1'
-mv=m(2v2' - v1')
-v=2v2' - v1'

Mass 1 is going in the positive direction first, then negative. Mass 2 is vice-versa.

I see, you used the speeds instead of velocities. Go ahead. What are the final results for v1' and v2'?

ehild

1. What is a "ball on string elastic collision"?

A ball on string elastic collision is a type of collision where a ball attached to a string collides with a stationary object and rebounds back with the same speed and direction. This type of collision follows the laws of conservation of energy and momentum.

2. How is the speed of the ball calculated in a "ball on string elastic collision"?

The speed of the ball after the collision can be calculated using the formula: v2 = ((m1-m2)/(m1+m2)) * v1, where v1 is the initial speed of the ball and v2 is the final speed of the ball. m1 and m2 represent the masses of the ball and the stationary object, respectively.

3. What is the role of elasticity in a "ball on string elastic collision"?

Elasticity is the property of a material to return to its original shape after being stretched or compressed. In a "ball on string elastic collision", the string attached to the ball acts as a spring, providing the necessary elasticity for the ball to rebound with the same speed and direction.

4. What factors can affect the outcome of a "ball on string elastic collision"?

The outcome of a "ball on string elastic collision" can be affected by factors such as the masses of the ball and the stationary object, the initial speed of the ball, and the elasticity of the string. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also play a role in the collision.

5. What are some real-life applications of "ball on string elastic collisions"?

One of the most common real-life applications of "ball on string elastic collisions" is in the game of billiards. When a cue ball hits another ball, it follows the principles of an elastic collision. Other examples include pendulum clocks, pogo sticks, and bungee jumping, where elastic collisions are used to control and regulate the motion of objects.