Ball released from rest at the top of slope

In summary, the conversation discussed an experiment where a ball was released from rest at the top of a slope and rolled 2.0 m down the slope in 8.0 s. The summary then goes on to calculate the average speed of the ball in this time, the speed after 8.0 s from rest, and the acceleration of the ball. The answer for part a was found to be 1/4 m/s by dividing the total distance by the time taken. The answer for part b was found to be 0.50 m/s, with the conclusion that the average speed is half of the speed at that particular instance. The reason for this was not fully understood and an explanation was requested. The final part,
electrofanner

Homework Statement

In an experiment, a ball was released from rest at the top of a slope and rolled a distance of 2.0 m down the slope in 8.0 s. Calculate

(a) its average speed in this time
(b) the speed after 8.0s from rest
(c) the acceleration of the ball

Basically, I got the answer for a...

Which is simply Distance Tot. divided by Time Taken

= 2.0 m/8.0 s
= 1/4 m/s

The answer for b is 0.50 m/s. I have come to a conclusion that the average speed is x0.5 of the speed at that particular instance.
(2x Avg. speed in that 8s = Speed of object in 8s)

However, I don't get why this came to be. Someone please explain to it to me. Thanks

For c... Simple also (after getting b)

Which is Velocity/Time

0.50 m/s divided by 8s = 0.0625 m/s 2

Basically, All I need is an explanation for Part b.

Physics news on Phys.org
electrofanner said:
The answer for b is 0.50 m/s. I have come to a conclusion that the average speed is x0.5 of the speed at that particular instance.
(2x Avg. speed in that 8s = Speed of object in 8s)

However, I don't get why this came to be. Someone please explain to it to me.
The speed uniformly increases from 0 to some final speed Vf. So the average speed is:
Vave = (0 + Vf)/2 = Vf/2.

(If that's not convincing enough, you can also derive this fact more formally using standard kinematics equations.)

1. What is the initial velocity of the ball released from rest at the top of a slope?

The initial velocity of the ball is zero, since it is released from rest.

2. How does the height of the slope affect the motion of the ball released from rest at the top?

The height of the slope affects the potential energy of the ball. The higher the slope, the more potential energy the ball has, and the faster it will move as it travels down the slope.

3. Does the mass of the ball affect its motion when released from rest at the top of a slope?

Yes, the mass of the ball does affect its motion. A heavier ball will have more inertia, making it harder to move and slower to accelerate down the slope compared to a lighter ball.

4. What type of energy does the ball have when it reaches the bottom of the slope?

The ball will have kinetic energy at the bottom of the slope, as it is moving and has the ability to do work or cause motion.

5. How does the angle of the slope affect the motion of the ball released from rest at the top?

The angle of the slope affects the gravitational force acting on the ball. The steeper the slope, the stronger the force, and the faster the ball will move down the slope.