Ball thrown from ISS to earth at right angle to it's path

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
abhaybakshi
Messages
11
Reaction score
1
Suppose I am on ISS and Earth is exactly below (at the right angle to the ISS's line of path).
Now if I throw one ball below towards Earth from window at exactly 90 degrees to the line of path of ISS
and one ball upwards at right angle to the line of path of ISS.

**Assume normal human strength for throwing ball. Say @ 50km/hr

1. Will first ball continue to travel "downwards" (as seen from ISS) and eventually enter into Earth's atmosphere and burn out (or reach earth...whatever)

2. Will second ball contunue to travel "upwards" (as seen from ISS) and will escape the Earth's pull ?
 
Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi, we've established the why of the ISS altitude, now two nice what if questions. In line with the PF culture I invite you to come up with some useful relationships in this context. You familiar with conservation of angular momentum (the gravitational force is central here) ?
 
I've been playing Kerbal Space Program for a little over a month now... It's ridiculous what you can learn from that game.
If you're interested in these sorts of things, then I can't recommend it highly enough.

For your scenarios, in reverse order:
2. What is the average speed of the ISS? What is Earth's escape velocity?
1. Do you know how to add velocities(vectors)?