1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ball thrown from top of building

1. Jul 16, 2008 #1
    rock is thrown from the edge of the top of a 100-ft tall building at some unknown angle above the horizontal. The rock strikes the ground a horizontal distance of 160 ft from the base of the building 5.0 s after being thrown. Assume that the ground is level and that the side of the building is vertical. Determine the speed with which the rock was thrown.

I found the x component of the initial velocity to be 32m/s and I think I need to find the y(max). I found t(max) for height to be v(0)/g (for the y component). And y(tmax)=h+1/2(v(o)/g), but this information does not seem to help me any.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Hi jhoffma4,

Be careful with your units; this will be 32 ft/s.

This equation does not look correct to me.

I would not worry about the maximum height. You know the vertical displacement at a particular time after launch, right? That's all you need to find the initial vertical velocity. What do you get?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?