1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ball thrown up, find max height - Given one velocity in midflight

1. Jan 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ball is thrown upwards from a point near the sidewalk next to a tall office building. At some later time an occupant of the building, exactly 5.1 meters above the point from which the ball was released, sees it pass her window with a speed of 2.9 m/s.

Calculate the maximum height reached by the ball.

You may neglect air resistance. Take the acceleration due to gravity to be 9.82 m/s^2

2. Relevant equations
    Kinematic Equations

y = Vot + (1/2)at2
    Vf = Vo + at
    Vf2 = Vo2 + 2ay
    y = t * [ (Vo + Vf) / 2 ]

3. The attempt at a solution

Using Kinematic equation Vf^2=Vo^2+2ay I solve for Vo
    (2.9)^2=Vo^2 - 19.64*5.1
    Vo = 10.01 m/s

To find max height I set Vf to 0 and solve for y using the same acceleration and the newly found Vo.

0 = 10.01^2 - 19.64y
    y=5.1 m

Obviously this doesn't work since 5.1m is where the person at the window sees the ball traveling with velocity. Any help would be great, I tried using the other kinematic equations but it got too messy too quickly.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2014 #2
    Your value for vo does not look right. I think you forgot to add the (2.9)^2 term.

4. Jan 15, 2014 #3
    That must have been it. I just redid the problem and received an answer a little greater than 12 meters. Not sure where I went wrong exactly, but no worries.

5. Jan 16, 2014 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's how I would look at it. Start from the window.

The ball is travelling upwards at 2.9 m/s, so how high does it go from there?

Just add that answer to the starting point of 5.1 m.

6. Jan 16, 2014 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I suggest you redo the problem again. You didn't show your work, so there's no knowing where you made a mistake.

Hint: Temporarily ignore the fact that the observer was 5.1 meters above the ground. Suppose you threw a ball upwards at 2.9 m/s. How high will it fly given g=9.82 m/s2?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted