Solve Ballistic Pendulum Homework: Conservation of Energy & Momentum

In summary, a 2.3 kg wood block is attached to a 1.3 kg, 1.3 m long rod to form a pendulum. A 12 g bullet is fired into the block, causing the pendulum to swing out to a 35 degree angle. The problem can be solved using the equations of conservation of energy and conservation of momentum. However, in this specific attempt at a solution, there were errors in calculating the height of the pendulum's center of mass. Further analysis is needed to determine the correct solution.
Cfem

Homework Statement

A 2.3 kg wood block hangs from the bottom of a 1.3 kg, 1.3 m long rod. The block and rod form a pendulum that swings on a frictionless pivot at the top end of the rod. A 12 g bullet is fired into the block, where it sticks, causing the pendulum to swing out to a 35 degrees.

Homework Equations

Conservation of Energy.
Conservation of Momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

(1/2)(m)(v^2) = mgh

Drawing a triangle, h is 1.3 * cos 35 = 1.06m

So (1/2)(v^2) = (9.8)(1.06)
v = 4.568 m/s

Conservation of momentum:

(mB)(vB) = (mB + mP)(v)
(.012)vB = (2.3+.012)(4.568)
vB = 10.561 / .012 = 880.21 m/s

Not sure where I went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
"h" has to be the amount by which the system's center of mass increased in height. It's not equal to 1.3*cos35 because the pendulum itself isn't massless.

Note: actually, h isn't equal to 1.3*cos35 even if the pendulum were massless.

h would have been L - Lcos35 if it were massless. That's my slip up.

But back to the question at hand, though, I'm lost now. Would I have to use the center of mass of the pendulum and the block? That sounds complicated.

Is there another way I could do it?

What is a ballistic pendulum?

A ballistic pendulum is a device used to determine the velocity of a projectile by measuring the height to which it rises after impact with a pendulum.

What is the principle of conservation of energy?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. In the case of a ballistic pendulum, the initial kinetic energy of the projectile is converted into potential energy when it is lifted by the pendulum.

What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum remains constant. In the case of a ballistic pendulum, the momentum of the projectile before impact is equal to the combined momentum of the pendulum and projectile after impact.

How do you use the ballistic pendulum to solve for the initial velocity of the projectile?

To solve for the initial velocity of the projectile, you first measure the height to which the pendulum rises after impact. Then, using the conservation of energy and momentum equations, you can set up a system of equations and solve for the initial velocity of the projectile.

What are some sources of error when using a ballistic pendulum?

Some potential sources of error when using a ballistic pendulum include air resistance, friction in the pivot point of the pendulum, and human error in measuring the height of the pendulum rise. It is important to minimize these sources of error to obtain accurate results.