Kinetic energy and momentum in circular paths

In summary: The argument about the ballistic pendulum is that linear momentum is conserved during the infinitesimally small time interval over which the projectile becomes embedded in the pendulum bob. In other words, the pendulum is not sufficiently displaced while the projectile sticks to it.
Like Tony Stark
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
I have some doubts about ballistic pendulums.
First, we say that if a bullet hits the pendulum, the linear momentum is conserved. But when we consider a rod attached to a pivot at one of its ends instead of a pendulum we say that the linear momentum isn't conserved because the rod can't move freely. What's the difference?
That also makes me wonder "if a body moves with constant speed in a circular path, is momentum conserved?", like a ball attached to a string.
And lastly, what about kinetic energy? Because there's rotational kinetic energy and there's translational kinetic energy. When do we have to distinguish them? Let's suppose a ball rolling and not sliding, it has both. But what about a pendulum? It rotates and its centre of mass moves too, so does it have both of them? Or a rod leaning against a wall and falling, what type of kinetic energy does it have?

Physics news on Phys.org
The argument about the ballistic pendulum is that linear momentum is conserved during the infinitesimally small time interval over which the projectile becomes embedded in the pendulum bob. In other words, the pendulum is not sufficiently displaced while the projectile sticks to it.

Linear momentum is a vector. It changes direction as the object moves in a circular path, therefore linear momentum is not conserved in that case.

Rotational kinetic energy is derived from linear kinetic energy therefore it is the same kind of beast. If you consider a rigid body consisting of many pieces ##m_i## each with its own speed ##v_i##, the total kinetic energy is ##K=\frac{1}{2}\sum_i m_iv_i^2##. If it so happens that the body is constrained to rotate about a fixed axis with angular speed ##\omega,## then ##v_i=\omega r_i## where ##r_i## is the distance of ##m_i## from the axis. Thus, ## K=\frac{1}{2}\omega^2\sum_i m_ir_i^2##. With the moment of inertia about said axis ##I=\sum_i m_ir_i^2##, you have ##K=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2## also known as the rotational energy. This expression for the kinetic energy is always correct as long as the moment of inertia ##I## is about the axis of rotation, wherever that is. It is often customary but not necessary to write the kinetic energy as having two parts, translational kinetic energy of the center of mass plus rotational kinetic energy about the center of mass, $$K=\frac{1}{2}MV_{cm}^2+\frac{1}{2}I_{cm}\omega^2.$$

Likes Like Tony Stark
Like Tony Stark said:
we say that if a bullet hits the pendulum, the linear momentum is conserved. But when we consider a rod attached to a pivot at one of its ends instead of a pendulum we say that the linear momentum isn't conserved because the rod can't move freely.
The earliest ballistic pendulum had a relatively massive arm, so the rotational inertia was taken into account. (Angular momentum about the pivot would be conserved.)
In later ones the arm was very light, and in some the target was suspended fore and aft so that it did not rotate on its own axis.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_pendulum

Likes Like Tony Stark
Like Tony Stark said:
But when we consider a rod attached to a pivot at one of its ends instead of a pendulum we say that the linear momentum isn't conserved because the rod can't move freely. What's the difference?
The collision is such that negligible horizontal impulse is required at the pivot point.

The horizontal linear force at the pivot point has to be enough to make the pendulum arm to rotate so that it stays attached to the pivot. If the pendulum arm is of negligible mass and if the bullet hits the block nicely centered then the required horizontal force is negligible.

Last edited:
Likes Like Tony Stark
jbriggs444 said:
The collision is such that negligible horizontal impulse is required at the pivot point.

The horizontal linear force at the pivot point has to be enough to make the pendulum arm to rotate so that it stays attached to the pivot. If the pendulum arm is of negligible mass and if the bullet hits the block nicely centered then the required horizontal force is negligible.
... but you also need the mass to be pivoted where it joins the arm or the moment of inertia of the mass becomes an issue. See the reference to a parallelogram arrangement at the link I posted.

Likes Like Tony Stark

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is a scalar quantity and is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object. The formula for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy related to circular paths?

In circular paths, kinetic energy is related to the speed of the object moving in the circular path. As the speed increases, the kinetic energy also increases. This is because the velocity of the object is constantly changing direction, requiring energy to maintain the circular motion.

3. What is momentum?

Momentum is a vector quantity that describes the amount of motion an object has. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its velocity, p = m * v. In circular paths, momentum can also be described as angular momentum, which takes into account the rotational motion of the object.

4. How is momentum conserved in circular motion?

In circular motion, momentum is conserved as long as there are no external forces acting on the object. This means that the total momentum of the system remains constant, even as the direction of the velocity changes. This is due to the conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant.

5. What is the relationship between kinetic energy and momentum in circular paths?

In circular paths, kinetic energy and momentum are closely related. As the kinetic energy of an object increases, so does its momentum. This is because both kinetic energy and momentum are dependent on the velocity of the object. Additionally, the direction of the momentum vector is always tangential to the circular path, while the direction of the velocity vector is always perpendicular to the momentum vector.