Muzzle Velocity by Analyzing Ballistic Pendulum

In summary, the conversation involves finding the equation for the muzzle velocity using conservation of energy. The two proposed equations are v=sqrt((2*g*h*(Mc+Mb))/Mb) and v=(1+Mc/Mb)*sqrt(2*g*h). The setup and variables are not clearly defined and there is discussion about the accuracy of the values used. The conservation of energy and type of collision are also brought up as important factors to consider.
ujellytek

Homework Statement

Finding the equation for the muzzle velocity by using conservation of energy.

2. The attempt at a solution

Ek+Eg=Ek2+Eg2
Well I'm 100% sure the kinetic energy of the ball is transferred into the catcher. The displacement is 1.9cm which is 0.019m. Mb=0.0077Kg (mass of ball) Mc=0.085Kg (mass of catcher)

Here is my work: .5Mbv^2=Mc*g*h <- this is supposed to be the total mass because the Mc and Mb become one, right? (btw that's the method my classmates used)
My method: .5Mbv^2=(Mc+Mb)*g*h
eventually v=sqrt( (2*g*h*(Mc+Mb))/Mb )

3. Relevant questions:

Is the proper equation for the muzzle velocity? v=sqrt((2*g*h*(Mc+Mb))/Mb)

I went to check this online, and I found out that the equation is supposedly supposed to be
v=(1+Mc/Mb)*sqrt(2*g*h)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem statement is rather spare. You should describe the setup and define the variables you'll be using.

ujellytek said:
Well I'm 100% sure the kinetic energy of the ball is transferred into the catcher.
You might want to rethink that. What type of collision is involved? What's conserved? What's not conserved?

Also, you may just want to double check that all of the values are correct.

1. What is muzzle velocity?

Muzzle velocity is a measure of the speed at which a projectile exits the muzzle of a firearm. It is typically measured in feet per second (fps) or meters per second (m/s).

2. How is muzzle velocity measured?

Muzzle velocity can be measured using a variety of methods, including high-speed cameras, chronographs, and ballistic pendulums. In the case of analyzing muzzle velocity using a ballistic pendulum, the pendulum is used to measure the momentum of the projectile and then calculate the velocity.

3. What is a ballistic pendulum?

A ballistic pendulum is a device used to measure the velocity of a projectile by observing its impact on a swinging pendulum. The pendulum will swing to a certain height based on the momentum of the projectile, which can then be used to calculate the velocity.

4. How does analyzing a ballistic pendulum determine muzzle velocity?

By measuring the height to which the pendulum swings after being struck by the projectile, the momentum of the projectile can be calculated. This momentum, along with the mass of the projectile, can then be used to calculate the muzzle velocity using the equation: V = √(2gh), where V is the muzzle velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the pendulum swing.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of muzzle velocity measurements using a ballistic pendulum?

The accuracy of muzzle velocity measurements using a ballistic pendulum can be affected by several factors, including the angle at which the projectile strikes the pendulum, the mass and shape of the projectile, and the air resistance encountered by the projectile. Additionally, variations in the release mechanism and friction within the pendulum can also impact the accuracy of the measurement.