1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Banked curve angle w/no friction - teacher's work differs

1. Mar 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At what angle should the roadway on a curve with a 50m radius be banked to allow cars to make the curve at 12 m/s even if friction is 0?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

All of the centripetal acceleration comes from normal force from the road on the car.

I choose to represent the road as being along the y axis and Fn as being along +x axis. Then gravity is directed at angle theta to the left of the -yaxis.

Normal force must equal the component of gravity along -xaxis, which is mgsin(theta),

Since the required centripetal force is mv^2/r, this is 2.88m, mgsin(theta) = 2.88m

gsin(theta) = 2.88

theta = 17.09

My professors work seems to be similar, but at the end she says that:
    gtan(theta) = 2.88

theta = 16.37

why?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2012 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

Just to check I understand your axes correctly: so the instantaneous velocity of the car is in the z-direction? And the y-direction is like the direction a pedestrian would walk along to cross the road as quick as possible? And the x-direction is the direction of the normal force?

In this case, gravity will not be directed at angle theta from the y-axis. And the normal force should not equal the component of gravity along the x-axis. I think you should draw the diagram again. I would advise making one of the axis go opposite to the direction of gravity. (Although your method should work too, but I think it makes it a bit more complicated).

4. Mar 12, 2012 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You calculated N instead of the centripetal force, which is Nsin(phi). The angle gravity encloses with the negative x axis is not the banking angle. It is phi in the figure.

ehild

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook