1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Banked Curve with Friction

1. Jul 23, 2009 #1
    "A banked circular highway curve is designed for traffic moving at 70 km/h. The radius of the curve is 186 m. Traffic is moving along the highway at 35 km/h on a rainy day. What is the minimum coefficient of friction between tires and road that will allow cars to negotiate the turn without sliding off the road?"

[tex]F_{c}=\frac{mv^{2}}{r}[/tex]

[tex]v_{unbanked}=\sqrt{ru_{k}g}[/tex]

[tex]v_{banked}=\sqrt{rgtan\theta}[/tex]

I'm lost. I don't know where to start with this problem. I know how to work the typical banked and unbanked curves, but I don't get how to draw the free-body diagram here.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2009 #2

jgens

Gold Member

Well, a good place to start this problem is finding an expression for the banking angle (the case without friction). Draw the freebody diagram for this simplified problem and obtain an expression for the banking angle.

Once you've done that, draw the freebody diagram including friction. Note that the only new force acting in this picture is the frictional force and that it acts parallel to the banked surface.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook