Basic 1-d dynamics with a bit of calculus.

In summary, when solving for the boat speed after 12 seconds, we use the equation m dv/dt = -15.3 v^2 because the drag force is opposite to the velocity, causing the boat to slow down. This results in a negative acceleration, which is represented as a negative sign in the equation. The unit vector ##\hat v## represents the direction of the velocity.
sanhuy

Homework Statement

A 500 kg boat moves with an initial speed of 20 m/s turns off it engine and slows down due to the drag force. If this force has magnitude F= 15.3v^2 find the boat speed after 12 seconds.

Homework Equations

F = ma
dv = adt

The Attempt at a Solution

taking the side opposite to the drag force to be positive in our force equation we get:
-15.3v2 = m(-a) = m(-dv/dt).

so,
∫-15.3/500 dt = ∫ (1/v^2) dv with the correct limits i get V = -3.4m/s which is incorrect.

however, when i use the force equation
-15.3v2 = m(a) = m(dv/dt) { no negative sign for dv/dt} i get the right answer v = 2.4 m/s .

I don't understand why this works. isn't acceleration in the same direction as the net drag force, so by how i set up my coordinate system they both should have a negative sign? Please help me understand. i looked online and in my textbook and i found nothing.

Physics news on Phys.org
sanhuy said:

Homework Statement

A 500 kg boat moves with an initial speed of 20 m/s turns off it engine and slows down due to the drag force. If this force has magnitude F= 15.3v^2 find the boat speed after 12 seconds.

Homework Equations

F = ma
dv = adt

The Attempt at a Solution

taking the side opposite to the drag force to be positive in our force equation we get:
-15.3v2 = m(-a) = m(-dv/dt).
You can multiply this equation by -1, so it is identical with 15.3v2 = m(a) = m(dv/dt). That means positive acceleration and increasing speed.
sanhuy said:
so,
∫-15.3/500 dt = ∫ (1/v^2) dv with the correct limits i get V = -3.4m/s which is incorrect.

however, when i use the force equation
-15.3v2 = m(a) = m(dv/dt) { no negative sign for dv/dt} i get the right answer v = 2.4 m/s .

I don't understand why this works. isn't acceleration in the same direction as the net drag force, so by how i set up my coordinate system they both should have a negative sign? Please help me understand. i looked online and in my textbook and i found nothing.
The force of drag is opposite to the velocity, it decreases the speed. Take the direction of velocity positive, then the force and acceleration are negative. .So you have to write m dv/dt= -15.3 v2.

Likes sanhuy
ehild said:
The force of drag is opposite to the velocity, it decreases the speed. So you have to write m dv/dt= -15.3 v2.
I understand that the velocity should decrease, but isn't acceleration in the same direction as the drag force so they should have the same signs in the force equation? This is quite non - intuitive for me.

Read the text carefully, the boat
.slows down due to the drag force. If this force has magnitude F= 15.3v^2....
So the drag force (a vector) is negative with respect to the velocity and so is the acceleration.
##\vec F_{drag} = -15.3 v^2\hat v##
when ##\vec v = v \hat v ## . The equation for the acceleration is ##m \frac{d\vec v}{dt} = \vec F_{drag} = -15.3 v^2 \hat v## You can omit the vector notation writing the equation for the speed v: mdv/dt = -15.3 v2.

Likes sanhuy
ehild said:
Read the text carefully, the boat So the drag force (a vector) is negative with respect to the velocity and so is the acceleration.
##\vec F_{drag} = -15.3 v^2\hat v##
when ##\vec v = v \hat v ## . The equation for the acceleration is ##m \frac{d\vec v}{dt} = \vec F_{drag} = -15.3 v^2 \hat v## You can omit the vector notation writing the equation for the speed v: mdv/dt = -15.3 v2.
Oh I see. So, just to confirm, v hat is the unit vector that points in the direction of the velocity correct?

sanhuy said:
Oh I see. So, just to confirm, v hat is the unit vector that points in the direction of the velocity correct?
yes, ##\hat v## is the unit vector in the direction of the velocity .

Likes sanhuy
THANK YOU! I Get it now!

1. What is 1-d dynamics?

1-d dynamics, also known as one-dimensional dynamics, is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects along a single straight line. It focuses on the forces and motion of objects in one dimension, such as linear motion, rotation, and oscillation.

2. How is calculus used in 1-d dynamics?

Calculus is used in 1-d dynamics to mathematically describe the motion of objects by determining their position, velocity, and acceleration over time. It allows for the calculation of instantaneous rates of change, which are essential for understanding the behavior of objects in motion.

3. What are the basic principles of 1-d dynamics?

The basic principles of 1-d dynamics include Newton's laws of motion, which state that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. It also includes the concepts of inertia, mass, and acceleration.

4. How does friction affect 1-d dynamics?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of objects and can significantly affect 1-d dynamics. It can cause objects to slow down or come to a complete stop, and it also plays a crucial role in determining the maximum velocity an object can reach.

5. What are some real-life applications of 1-d dynamics?

1-d dynamics has many real-life applications, including understanding the motion of vehicles on a straight road, the movement of simple pendulums, and the behavior of objects in simple machines. It is also crucial in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and sports.