Tangential acceleration of proton due to a changing magnetic field

Meow12
Homework Statement
In earlier learning sequences we described how a static magnetic field cannot change the speed (and therefore kinetic energy) of a free charged particle. A changing magnetic field can, and this is one way particle beams are accelerated. Consider free protons following a circular path in a uniform magnetic field with a radius of 1 m. At t=0s, the magnitude of the uniform magnetic field begins to increase at 0.001T/s. Enter the tangential acceleration of the protons in positive if they speed up and negative if they slow down.
Relevant Equations
##\displaystyle R=\frac{mv}{qB}##
##\displaystyle R=\frac{mv}{qB}\implies v=\frac{RqB}{m}## where ##v## is the speed of the proton

##\displaystyle\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{Rq}{m}\frac{dB}{dt}##

On substituting the values, I get ##\displaystyle\frac{dv}{dt}=9.58\times 10^4\ m/s^2##

This answer, however, is incorrect. Where have I gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
1704253600638.png

For a circle of radius R,
[tex] E = -\frac{\pi R^2}{2\pi R}\frac{dB}{dt}=-\frac{mv}{2qB}\frac{dB}{dt}[/tex]
Maybe it is worth considered.

anuttarasammyak said:
View attachment 338046
For a circle of radius R,
[tex] E = -\frac{\pi R^2}{2\pi R}\frac{dB}{dt}=-\frac{mv}{2qB}\frac{dB}{dt}[/tex]
Maybe it is worth considered.
But how do we find ##\displaystyle\frac{dv}{dt}##?

Also, why was my solution incorrect?

Meow12 said:
Also, why was my solution incorrect?
You should consider not only B, v but also R changes in time.

Likes Meow12
anuttarasammyak said:
You should consider not only B, v but also R changes in time.
So, the radius R also increases as the speed v increases. But how do we find the tangential acceleration dv/dt?

You can try to get it from the equation I mentioned.

anuttarasammyak said:
Are you missing an ##R## in the last term?

renormalize said:
Are you missing an ##R## in the last term?
I don't think so because
[tex]E = -\frac{\pi R^2}{2\pi R}\frac{dB}{dt}=-\frac{R}{2}\frac{dB}{dt}=-\frac{mv}{2qB}\frac{dB}{dt}[/tex]

anuttarasammyak said:
I do not think so because
[tex]E = -\frac{\pi R^2}{2\pi R}\frac{dB}{dt}=-\frac{R}{2}\frac{dB}{dt}=-\frac{mv}{2qB}\frac{dB}{dt}[/tex]
Ah yes, you are correct!

Likes anuttarasammyak
Meow12 said:
So, the radius R also increases as the speed v increases. But how do we find the tangential acceleration dv/dt?
Consider the equation that @anuttarasammyak wrote above for the tangential electric field ##E##:$$E=-\frac{R}{2}\frac{dB}{dt}$$What's the relation between an electric field, an electric force and a charge?

Likes Meow12
renormalize said:
Consider the equation that @anuttarasammyak wrote above for the tangential electric field ##E##:$$E=-\frac{R}{2}\frac{dB}{dt}$$What's the relation between an electric field, an electric force and a charge?
Plugging in the values, I get ##|E|=5\times 10^{-4}\ N/C##

##\displaystyle a_t=\frac{q|E|}{m}##

Substituting the value of ##|E|##, and the values of ##q## and ##m## for a proton, I get ##a_t=4.79\times 10^4\ m/s^2##, which is the right answer. Thank you so much, both of you. :)

Likes anuttarasammyak and renormalize

1. What is tangential acceleration of a proton due to a changing magnetic field?

The tangential acceleration of a proton due to a changing magnetic field is the rate of change of the proton's velocity in the direction perpendicular to the magnetic field lines. This acceleration occurs when the magnetic field strength or direction changes, causing the proton to experience a force that changes its velocity.

2. How is tangential acceleration of a proton calculated?

The tangential acceleration of a proton can be calculated using the formula: a = qvB/m, where a is the tangential acceleration, q is the charge of the proton, v is the velocity of the proton, B is the magnetic field strength, and m is the mass of the proton.

3. What is the direction of tangential acceleration of a proton in a changing magnetic field?

The direction of the tangential acceleration of a proton in a changing magnetic field is perpendicular to both the velocity of the proton and the magnetic field lines. This acceleration causes the proton to move in a circular path as it interacts with the changing magnetic field.

4. What factors affect the tangential acceleration of a proton in a changing magnetic field?

The tangential acceleration of a proton in a changing magnetic field is affected by the charge of the proton, its velocity, the strength of the magnetic field, and the mass of the proton. Changes in any of these factors can result in changes to the tangential acceleration experienced by the proton.

5. What are the practical applications of studying tangential acceleration of protons in changing magnetic fields?

Studying the tangential acceleration of protons in changing magnetic fields is important for understanding the behavior of particles in magnetic fields, such as in particle accelerators and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. This knowledge can also be applied in fields such as plasma physics and space exploration.