Basic Chem - Molar Percentage problem.

• Thread starter MarcMTL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary, the question asks to calculate the molar percent of nitrogen in 1kg of Ni(NO2)2 using the equation mol% of A = n(A) / n(total) * 100. The student is unsure about the effect of the 1kg mass on the calculation, but it can be safely ignored as molar percent is independent of mass.
MarcMTL

Homework Statement

Calculate the molar percent of nitrogen in 1kg of Ni(NO2)2.

Homework Equations

mol% of A = n(A) / n(total) * 100

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck on this basic question. I have a tendency to say that the molar percent of nitrogen would basically be [tex]\frac{2}{1+2+4} * 100[/tex], basically the nb of moles of N over the sum of the total.

What's causing me confusing is the 1kg.

My question is: if I were looking for the specific number of moles, then the mass would be accounted for. But if it's molar percentt that's wanted, wouldn't it be independent of the mass?

Thanks.

Marc

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, molar percent is mass independent. You can safely ignore 1 kg.

--
methods

1. What is molar percentage and why is it important in chemistry?

Molar percentage is a way of expressing the concentration of a specific substance in a solution. It is the ratio of the number of moles of a particular substance to the total number of moles in the solution, multiplied by 100. This is important in chemistry because it helps us understand the amount of a substance present in a solution and its influence on the chemical reactions and properties of the solution.

2. How do you calculate molar percentage?

To calculate molar percentage, you need to first determine the number of moles of the substance of interest and the total number of moles in the solution. Then, divide the number of moles of the substance by the total number of moles and multiply by 100. The resulting value is the molar percentage of the substance in the solution.

3. Can molar percentage be greater than 100%?

No, molar percentage cannot be greater than 100%. This is because it represents the proportion of a substance in a solution, and a value greater than 100% would indicate that the substance is present in a greater amount than the total solution.

4. How is molar percentage different from mole fraction?

Molar percentage and mole fraction are both ways of expressing the concentration of a substance in a solution, but they use different units. Molar percentage is expressed as a percentage, while mole fraction is a ratio of the number of moles of a substance to the total number of moles in the solution. Additionally, molar percentage is always multiplied by 100, while mole fraction is not.

5. What are some real-world applications of molar percentage?

Molar percentage is commonly used in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and environmental testing. It can be used to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution, which is important for quality control, research, and development purposes. Molar percentage is also used in analytical chemistry to calculate the yield of a reaction or to determine the purity of a substance.