Basic Complex Analysis: Maximum Modulus?

In summary, the conversation discusses two holomorphic functions in the unit disc that are continuous and do not vanish, with equal values on the boundary and at one point. The Maximum Modulus Theorem is suggested as a possible approach to proving that the functions are the same. The concept of minimum modulus is also mentioned. The method of defining h=f/g is suggested and discussed, with clarification on why |h(z)| achieves its maximum in the interior. The conversation also briefly mentions a previous discussion on a Frobenius eigenvalue problem.
snipez90

Homework Statement

Let f and g be two holomorphic functions in the unit disc D1 = {z : |z| < 1}, continuous in D1, which do not vanish for any value of z in the closure of D1. Assume that |f(z)| = |g(z)| for every z in the boundary of D1 and moreover f(1) = g(1). Prove that f and g are the same function.

Homework Equations

Maximum modulus?

The Attempt at a Solution

Last one for now.

Okay I had enough sense to gather from the hint that f and g don't vanish that I should define h = f/g. Then h(1) = 1, |h(z)| = 1 for z on the boundary of D1. Now I feel like maximum modulus will give that h(z) = 1 on D1, but I'm making a logical leap. Can someone help me out here? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since |h(z)|=1 on the boundary, what does that tell you about |h(z)| in the interior? Since |h(z)| then achieves its maximum in the interior, what does that tell you about h(z)? Now use h(1)=1.

By maximum modulus, [itex]|h(z)| \leq 1[/itex] in the interior. But why does |h(z)| achieve a maximum in the interior?

There's an analogous minimum modulus theorem as well isn't there? Since h(z) doesn't vanish, replace h(z) with 1/h(z).

Gotcha, I considered 1/|h| and things came together, but yes that does give you minimum modulus I guess. Thanks.

If you don't mind could you take a look at

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=484067

to spot check the proof? The method I chose seemed like the easiest way to estimate the derivatives.

Also that Frobenius eigenvalue problem that I showed you awhile back had a deeper solution than the method we agreed on (which was like raising the linear operator to the 7th power). I think I also made a miscalculation but I might post again if I get around to thinking about it again. Of course nothing of the sort actually showed up on the final.

I don't remember any Frobenius eigenvalue thing. Can you remind me?

1. What is the maximum modulus theorem in basic complex analysis?

The maximum modulus theorem states that the maximum value of a complex-valued function occurs either at a critical point or on the boundary of a region in the complex plane. In other words, the maximum modulus of a function is either at a point where the derivative is zero, or at a point where the function is undefined.

2. How is the maximum modulus theorem used in basic complex analysis?

The maximum modulus theorem is used to find the maximum value of a complex-valued function within a given region in the complex plane. It is also used to prove other theorems in complex analysis, such as the open mapping theorem and the Cauchy integral formula.

3. Can the maximum modulus theorem be applied in higher dimensions?

No, the maximum modulus theorem only applies to functions of a single complex variable. In higher dimensions, a similar theorem known as the maximum modulus principle can be applied.

4. Are there any exceptions to the maximum modulus theorem?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the maximum modulus theorem. For example, if the function is not analytic (i.e. not differentiable) at a point within the region, the maximum modulus theorem may not hold. Additionally, if the function is unbounded, the maximum modulus theorem may not apply.

5. How does the maximum modulus theorem relate to the concept of analytic continuation?

The maximum modulus theorem is closely related to the concept of analytic continuation. If a function is analytic within a region, the maximum modulus theorem guarantees that it can be extended analytically to a larger region. This is known as the principle of analytic continuation.