Question regarding maximum on a unit disc

In summary, we are trying to find the maximum value of |ez| on the closed unit disc. We can use the Maximum Modulus Theorem and set f(z) = ez. Since z lies on the unit circle, we can write it as z = exp(i\theta), where \theta ranges from -\pi to \pi. Using the identity e^{i\theta} = cos(\theta) + i*sin(\theta), we can calculate the modulus of e^z to be e^{cos(\theta)}. Since the maximum value of cos(\theta) is 1, the maximum value of |e^z| is e.
librastar

Homework Statement

Find the maximum of |ez| on the closed unit disc.

Homework Equations

|ez| is the modulus of ez
z belongs to complex plane
Maximum Madulus Theorem - Let G be a bounded open set in complex plane and suppose f is a continuous function on G closure which is analytic in G. Then max{|f(z)|: z in G closure} = max{|f(z)|: z in boundary of G}

The Attempt at a Solution

At first glance I was thinking about using Maximum Modulus Theorem by setting f(z) = ez and let G be a open unit disc. Clearly f(z) is analytic in G and is continuous on G closure (the closed unit disc), so I should be able to apply MMT to conclude that the modulus assumes maximum on the boundary.
However I got confused when determining how do I describe |f(z)| on the boundary, in another word, how do I determine what value of z to use?

Please let me know if my approach is right and perhaps give me some advice or hint.
I appreciate all the helps you provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
as on the boundary |z| = 1, how about starting by writing it in the form z = 1. e^(i theta)

Since z lies on the unit circle, we can write it as: max{|f(z)|: z in boundary of G} = max{|f(z)|: z = exp([tex]i\theta[/tex]), [tex]\theta \in [-\pi,\pi)[/tex]}

However, what do you know about |[tex]e^z[/tex]| when [tex] z = e^{i\theta}[/tex]?

Coto said:
Since z lies on the unit circle, we can write it as: max{|f(z)|: z in boundary of G} = max{|f(z)|: z = exp([tex]i\theta[/tex]), [tex]\theta \in [-\pi,\pi)[/tex]}

However, what do you know about |[tex]e^z[/tex]| when [tex] z = e^{i\theta}[/tex]?

I'm not sure where this is going, in this case we will just have exp(exp([tex]i\theta[/tex]))?

I also know that e^(i[tex]\theta[/tex]) = cos([tex]\theta[/tex]) + i*sin([tex]\theta[/tex]), but I don't know if this will help my solution or not.

It does. Calculate explicitly the modulus of [tex]e^z[/tex] using the identity you provided above for [tex]e^{i\theta}[/tex].

Coto said:
It does. Calculate explicitly the modulus of [tex]e^z[/tex] using the identity you provided above for [tex]e^{i\theta}[/tex].

So now I have |ecos([tex]\theta[/tex])+isin([tex]\theta[/tex])|

|ecos([tex]\theta[/tex])*eisin([tex]\theta[/tex])|
= |ecos([tex]\theta[/tex])*(cos(sin([tex]\theta[/tex]))+isin(sin([tex]\theta[/tex])))|

Now I don't know why I got stuck here...

not too sure what you did there in the last step... but you need to remember the complex conjugate in the magnitude... try that before you simplify
[tex]|e^{ cos(\theta)}e^{i sin(\theta)}|^2 = (e^{ cos(\theta)}e^{i sin(\theta)})(e^{ cos(\theta)}e^{i sin(\theta)})^*[/tex]

lanedance said:
not too sure what you did there in the last step... but you need to remember the complex conjugate in the magnitude... try that before you simplify
[tex]|e^{ cos(\theta)}e^{i sin(\theta)}|^2 = (e^{ cos(\theta)}e^{i sin(\theta)})(e^{ cos(\theta)}e^{i sin(\theta)})^*[/tex]

thanks for the tip.

Well, I know that (ez)* = e[tex]z^*[/tex]

So I can simply [tex]|e^{ cos(\theta)}e^{i sin(\theta)}|^2 = (e^{ cos(\theta)}e^{i sin(\theta)})(e^{ cos(\theta)}e^{i sin(\theta)})^*[/tex] to:

[tex](e^{ cos(\theta)}e^{i sin(\theta)})(e^{ cos(\theta)}e^{-i sin(\theta)})[/tex]

Then by combing the exponential functions with the same exponent, then I obtain:

[tex](e^{ 2cos(\theta)})[/tex]

So after taking the square root of the whole thing,

[tex]|e^z| = e^ { cos(\theta)}[/tex]

The max value of [tex]cos(\theta)[/tex] = 1

So the maximum of [tex]|e^z| = e[/tex]?

that looks good to me

lanedance said:
that looks good to me

Thanks.

1. What is the maximum value on a unit disc?

The maximum value on a unit disc is 1. This is because a unit disc has a radius of 1, and the maximum value of any point on a unit circle is always 1.

2. How is the maximum value on a unit disc determined?

The maximum value on a unit disc is determined by finding the highest possible value that can be obtained on any point within the disc. This is usually done through mathematical calculations or by using a computer program.

3. Can the maximum value on a unit disc change?

No, the maximum value on a unit disc cannot change. This is because the radius and boundaries of a unit disc remain constant, so the maximum value will always be 1.

4. How does the maximum value on a unit disc relate to other shapes?

The maximum value on a unit disc is specific to the shape of a disc. Other shapes may have different maximum values, depending on their size and boundaries. For example, a square with side length 1 would have a maximum value of 1, similar to a unit disc.

5. What is the significance of the maximum value on a unit disc?

The maximum value on a unit disc is significant in mathematical calculations and in understanding the properties of circles and discs. It can also be used in real-world applications, such as determining the maximum possible value for a certain measurement within a circular area.