1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding maximum on a unit disc

1. Jun 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the maximum of |ez| on the closed unit disc.

2. Relevant equations

|ez| is the modulus of ez
    z belongs to complex plane
    Maximum Madulus Theorem - Let G be a bounded open set in complex plane and suppose f is a continuous function on G closure which is analytic in G. Then max{|f(z)|: z in G closure} = max{|f(z)|: z in boundary of G}

3. The attempt at a solution

At first glance I was thinking about using Maximum Modulus Theorem by setting f(z) = ez and let G be a open unit disc. Clearly f(z) is analytic in G and is continuous on G closure (the closed unit disc), so I should be able to apply MMT to conclude that the modulus assumes maximum on the boundary.
    However I got confused when determining how do I describe |f(z)| on the boundary, in another word, how do I determine what value of z to use?

Please let me know if my approach is right and perhaps give me some advice or hint.
    I appreciate all the helps you provide.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2010 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

as on the boundary |z| = 1, how about starting by writing it in the form z = 1. e^(i theta)

4. Jun 8, 2010 #3
    Since z lies on the unit circle, we can write it as: max{|f(z)|: z in boundary of G} = max{|f(z)|: z = exp([tex]i\theta[/tex]), [tex]\theta \in [-\pi,\pi)[/tex]}

However, what do you know about |[tex]e^z[/tex]| when [tex] z = e^{i\theta}[/tex]?

5. Jun 8, 2010 #4
    I'm not sure where this is going, in this case we will just have exp(exp([tex]i\theta[/tex]))?

I also know that e^(i[tex]\theta[/tex]) = cos([tex]\theta[/tex]) + i*sin([tex]\theta[/tex]), but I don't know if this will help my solution or not.

6. Jun 8, 2010 #5
    It does. Calculate explicitly the modulus of [tex]e^z[/tex] using the identity you provided above for [tex]e^{i\theta}[/tex].

7. Jun 8, 2010 #6
    So now I have |ecos([tex]\theta[/tex])+isin([tex]\theta[/tex])|

|ecos([tex]\theta[/tex])*eisin([tex]\theta[/tex])|
    = |ecos([tex]\theta[/tex])*(cos(sin([tex]\theta[/tex]))+isin(sin([tex]\theta[/tex])))|

Now I don't know why I got stuck here....

8. Jun 8, 2010 #7

lanedance

Homework Helper

not too sure what you did there in the last step... but you need to remember the complex conjugate in the magnitude... try that before you simplify
    [tex]|e^{ cos(\theta)}e^{i sin(\theta)}|^2 = (e^{ cos(\theta)}e^{i sin(\theta)})(e^{ cos(\theta)}e^{i sin(\theta)})^*[/tex]

9. Jun 8, 2010 #8

thanks for the tip.

Well, I know that (ez)* = e[tex]z^*[/tex]

So I can simply [tex]|e^{ cos(\theta)}e^{i sin(\theta)}|^2 = (e^{ cos(\theta)}e^{i sin(\theta)})(e^{ cos(\theta)}e^{i sin(\theta)})^*[/tex] to:

[tex](e^{ cos(\theta)}e^{i sin(\theta)})(e^{ cos(\theta)}e^{-i sin(\theta)})[/tex]

Then by combing the exponential functions with the same exponent, then I obtain:

[tex](e^{ 2cos(\theta)})[/tex]

So after taking the square root of the whole thing,

[tex]|e^z| = e^ { cos(\theta)}[/tex]

The max value of [tex]cos(\theta)[/tex] = 1

So the maximum of [tex]|e^z| = e[/tex]?

10. Jun 8, 2010 #9

lanedance

Homework Helper

that looks good to me

11. Jun 8, 2010 #10
    Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook