1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic intersection/union probabilities.

1. Nov 22, 2005 #1
    Probability self-study question (please see attached png for diagram).

In the following diagram, A, C, and F have a 50% chance for success. B, D, and E have a 70% chance for success. What is the overall probability for success?

Here's what I've done:

[tex]
    A \cap \left[ C \cup \left( E \cap \left[ B \cup D \right] \right) \right] \cap F
    [/tex]

plugging numbers,

[tex]
    .5 \times \left[ .5 + \left( .7 \times \left[ .7 + .7 \right] \right) \right] \times .5
    [/tex]

My calculator says .37. The book says .20. Where did I go wrong?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2005 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ACF = 0.5 0.5 0.5 = 0.125
    ABEF = 0.5 0.7 0.7 0.5 = 0.25 0.49 = 0.1225
    ADEF = ABEF = 0.1225

Sum = 0.37

4. Nov 22, 2005 #3
    So you're implicitly saying the book's answer is wrong?

5. Nov 24, 2005 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do a quick sanity check on your work. Look at the diagram. The probability of success is P(A)*P(success on path from A to F)*P(F). Since P(success on path from A to F) <= 1, P(success) <= P(A)*P(F) = 0.25. Your answer (0.37) cannot be correct.

What you have done wrong is to not take into account (for example) B and D both succeeding.

6. Nov 26, 2005 #5

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the book to be correct you need P(success between A and F) = 0.8.

7. Nov 26, 2005 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It is, more-or-less. The exact value is 0.8185, making the end-to-end probability of success 0.204625. The book or the original poster must rounded that to two significant digits.
    I gave a hint on how to get to the correct probability: make sure not to exaggerate success on parallel paths. To see why this must be the case, consider the first half of the upper path between A and F: the parallel branch B and/or D. It is incorrect to compute the probability of B and/or D being successful just by adding the probabilities. (Sanity check again: these sum to 1.4, which is not a valid probability). In set theoretic terms, the correct calculation is
    [tex]
    \begin{align*}
    P(B \cup D) &= P(B) + P(D) - P(B \cap D) \\
    &= P(B) + P(D) - P(B)*P(D) \\
    &= 0.91
    \end{align*}
    [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?