1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic kinematics: projectile motion

1. Nov 11, 2015 #1
    This is a really basic problem but the answers I've gotten don't match up with the back of the book. I've been over it several times & can't understand where I'm going wrong - any pointers would be much appreciated!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A physics book slides off a horizontal tabletop with a speed of 1.40m/s. It strikes the floor in 0.320s. Ignore air resistance. Find a) the height of the tabletop off the floor; b) the horizontal distance from the edge of the table to the point where the book strikes the floor.

2. Relevant equations
    vf = vi + at
    x = xi + vit + ½at2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I broke up the book's initial velocity into components:
    Vf-x = Vi-x = 1.40m/s
    Vf-y = Vi-y +at = -gt = -3.14m/s

The height of the table = the magnitude of the vertical displacement y (using the top of the table as the origin):
    y = yi + Vi-yt + ½at2 = 0 + 0 + ½(-9.8m/s2)(0.320s)2= -0.502m -> height = 0.502m
    What the book gives for this is 1.13m.

The horizontal distance = magnitude of horizontal displacement x:
    x = xi + Vi-xt + ½at2 = 0 + (1.40m/s)(0.320s) + 0 = 0.448m
    What the book gives here is 0.502m (which is what I got for the height - which means I'm either completely mixed up or maybe the book is wrong?!)

Thanks for taking a look.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How did you get vfy=-4.9m/s? Looks like you used t=.5s, which, as it happens, would give a height closer to 1.1m.

4. Nov 11, 2015 #3
    Yes, you're right, sorry! I've been trying other problems since getting stuck on this one & copied the wrong figure down from my rough work. It should be Vf-y = -3.136m/s

I'll edit that now.

5. Nov 11, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Then I agree with your 0.5m height.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted