Basic Physics question, find average acceleration and velocity?

In summary, Branden ran for a ball from a dead stop and took 3 seconds to reach it after traveling 10 meters. To find his average acceleration, we can use the formula v = v0 + at, where v is the final velocity, v0 is the initial velocity (which is 0 in this case), a is the acceleration, and t is the time. To find the velocity he achieved when he caught the ball, we can use the formula d = v0t + 1/2at^2, where d is the distance (10 meters) and v0 is the initial velocity. Using these equations, we can determine that Branden's average acceleration was 3.333 meters/second^2 and
ADH
Branden runs for a ball from a dead stop. It takes him 3 sec to reach it after traveling 10 meters.

What was his average acceleration?

What velocity did he achieve when he caught the ball?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
ADH said:
Branden runs for a ball from a dead stop. It takes him 3 sec to reach it after traveling 10 meters.

What was his average acceleration?

What velocity did he achieve when he caught the ball?

Thank you!

Please post your work.

(Hint: Recall your kinematic equations of motion)

My attempt was this. I found the velocity, I think.

For velocity I have 3.333 meters/second.

I was not sure how to find acceleration, or what formula to use.

My teacher gave us this formula: velocity = velocity(sub zero) + at . So should I make a permuatation out of this formula to give me: a = (velocity - velocity(sub zero)) / t ?

So then a = 3.333m/s - (initial velocity) / time

I'm pretty confused. Thanks for helping.

ADH said:
My attempt was this. I found the velocity, I think.

For velocity I have 3.333 meters/second.

I was not sure how to find acceleration, or what formula to use.

My teacher gave us this formula: velocity = velocity(sub zero) + at . So should I make a permuatation out of this formula to give me: a = (velocity - velocity(sub zero)) / t ?

So then a = 3.333m/s - (initial velocity) / time

I'm pretty confused. Thanks for helping.

You have these formulas

x=v0t+0.5at2

v=v0+at

v2=v02-2ax

Which equation has acceleration, time and distance in it?

Try organizing your data, see what you have and what is missing/required.

For example:

Vinitial=0 m/s t=3s d=10m a=? Vfinal=?

These formulas should help.

d= 1/2 (Vi+Vf)t

Vf= Vi + at

d=Vi(t) + 1/2 a(t^2)

G'luck!

1. What is the formula for calculating average acceleration?

The formula for average acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

2. How do you find the average velocity of an object?

The average velocity of an object can be found by dividing the total displacement by the total time taken. The formula is v = d / t, where d is the displacement and t is the time taken.

3. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position in a specific direction, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. In simpler terms, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving, while acceleration tells us how much an object's velocity is changing.

4. How does average acceleration affect an object's motion?

The average acceleration of an object determines how its velocity changes over time. If the acceleration is positive, the object's velocity will increase, and if the acceleration is negative, the object's velocity will decrease. If there is no acceleration, the object's velocity will remain constant.

5. Can average acceleration and velocity be negative?

Yes, both average acceleration and velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. For example, if the positive direction is to the right, a negative acceleration or velocity would mean the object is moving to the left.