Basic physics requirements and a teacher

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's struggle with understanding their PHY111 class and whether their difficulties are due to their own learning style or the teaching style. The student has sought help from their teacher and tutors, but is still struggling. The teacher is an engineer turned teacher and approaches teaching in a fast-paced manner. The student expresses doubts and compares themselves to their classmates. The conversation ends with advice to not give up and to remember why the student is pursuing this subject.
kremit
This may be a long read. Giving you a heads up :zzz:

I am trying to achieve as many opinions as possible to figure out if this problem is simply my own or the teaching style does not agree with the way I learn, maybe i simply do not belong in science. It is past the drop the course point, so its time to take it, physics style.

My situation is I am not understanding a single thing in my PHY111 class. I can't remember the basic, I'll call them, level 1 questions. Things like how to get velocity, acceleration, or time. I do not know how to apply them properly to a word problem. I draw it out, i separate the figures I need to use, but nope. Nothing. We are not allowed to use any calculus references, examples, or practices in this.

Though it seems it would make this class easier as such and if they made it a requirement to take calculus maybe I wouldn't have such a struggle? Most of my class has taken calculus I except for myself and one other person in a class of 20.

The second class meeting, i spent the next day with my teacher in her office hours. I've spent hours upon hours of my own time and tutors time. I would say my other subjects are being neglected I am spending so much time on it. It would be safe to say the tutors are reteaching me what i should have learned in class. In point the example of time, velocity, and acceleration.

Then there is my teacher. She is an engineer turned teacher. She seems to approach her teaching as such. She is fast, tells you what you need to know, moves on.

Am I giving up? I have no idea. But if nothing clicks in my head about the subject. How can I possibly achieve victory? I'll go down fighting, that is for sure. :rolleyes:

Based on the information. What does the community think?

Physics news on Phys.org
At times I doubt myself. I try to remember that for most of us, it takes a lot of work. The semester is early and it takes more than a few weeks to feel competent at something. Try to remember why you are doing this. Try to work through the periods of doubt. Do not compare yourself with your classmates unless you know them all and their previous education. I hope this helps.

it is important to understand that everyone learns and processes information differently. It is possible that the teaching style of your current physics teacher may not align with your learning style, and that is perfectly okay. However, it is important to also recognize that physics is a challenging subject and it may take time and effort to fully grasp the concepts.

In terms of the basic physics requirements, it is crucial to have a strong foundation in understanding concepts such as velocity, acceleration, and time. These are fundamental principles in physics and it is important to fully comprehend them before moving on to more complex topics.

It is interesting to note that your class has a mix of students who have taken calculus and those who have not. While calculus may not be a requirement for your physics class, it can definitely be helpful in understanding certain concepts. However, it is also important for teachers to cater to students who may not have taken calculus and provide alternative methods for understanding the material.

In regards to your teacher's teaching style, it is important for educators to be mindful of the pace at which they are teaching and to ensure that all students are understanding the material. As an engineer turned teacher, it is possible that your teacher may be used to a faster pace and may need to adjust to accommodate students who may need more time to grasp the concepts.

It is commendable that you are seeking help from tutors and spending extra time on the subject. However, it may also be helpful to discuss your concerns with your teacher and see if they can provide additional resources or alternative teaching methods to help you better understand the material.

In conclusion, it is important to not give up and to keep fighting to understand the subject. It may take time and effort, but with the right resources and support, you can achieve success in physics. Remember, everyone learns at their own pace and it is important to find a method of learning that works best for you.

1. What are the basic physics requirements for becoming a teacher?

The basic physics requirements for becoming a teacher vary depending on the state and school district. Generally, a Bachelor's degree in Physics or a related field is required. Additionally, most states require candidates to pass a teacher certification exam and complete a teacher preparation program. Some schools may also require coursework in education and teaching methods.

2. Can I become a physics teacher without a degree in physics?

In most cases, a Bachelor's degree in Physics or a related field is required to become a physics teacher. However, some states may allow individuals with a degree in a related field, such as engineering or mathematics, to become certified as a physics teacher. It is important to check with your state's department of education for specific requirements.

3. What subjects do physics teachers typically teach?

Physics teachers typically teach a range of subjects related to physics, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and modern physics. They may also teach related subjects such as astronomy, chemistry, and earth science.

4. Are there any additional certifications or qualifications needed to teach physics?

In addition to a Bachelor's degree in Physics, some schools and states may require additional certifications or qualifications for teaching physics. These may include a Master's degree in Education or a specific teaching endorsement for physics. It is important to research the requirements in your specific area.

5. What skills are important for a physics teacher to have?

Some important skills for a physics teacher to have include strong knowledge of physics concepts and principles, effective communication skills, and the ability to create engaging and hands-on lessons. Patience, adaptability, and a passion for teaching are also important qualities for a successful physics teacher.