Basic Proportionality Theorem (Thales Theorem)

In summary: After an hour of trying I figured it out.It's correct, but the algebra for the equalities of line 2 and 3 is not completely correct because for example $$\frac{AB}{AB-EB}\neq \frac{AB}{AB}-\frac{AB}{EB}$$. But it is $$\frac{AB-EB}{AB}=\frac{AB}{AB}-\frac{EB}{AB}$$ so work with the ratio of $$\frac{AE}{AB}$$ and $$\frac{AD}{AC}$$ instead and you ll be able to prove it in the same spirit, that is using (1) and algebra. However the way I originally proposed at post #17
SSG-E
Homework Statement
If ED is parallel to BC then prove that:
(1). AB/EB = AC/DC
(2). AB/AE = AC/AD
Relevant Equations
AB/EB = AC/DC
AB/AE = AC/AD
According to Basic proportionalit theorem
if a line is parallel to a side of a triangle which intersects the other sides into two distinct points, then the line divides those sides proportionaly.
I can't figure a way out how to prove it.
Here is an attempt.
we know that AE/EB = AD/DC.
k.png

Physics news on Phys.org
SSG-E said:
Here is an attempt.
we know that AE/EB = AD/DC.
It's what we have to prove ! How do "we know that ... " !

BvU said:
It's what we have to prove ! How do "we know that ... " !
Actually we have to prove the corollary AB/EB = AC/DC not AE/EB = AD/DC.

BvU said:
What do you know about similar triangles ?
The ratio of their corresponding sides is equal.

Bring the parallel line to AC from the point E that intersects BC at point F. Then because EFCD is a parallelogram you ll have that EF=CD. Also use the fact that all 3 triangles ABC,AED and EBF are similar. I think having those in mind you should be able to prove 1 and 2.

Delta2 said:
Bring the parallel line to AC from the point E that intersects BC at point F. Then because EFCD is a parallelogram you ll have that EF=CD. Also use the fact that all 3 triangles ABC,AED and EBF are similar. I think having those in mind you should be able to prove 1 and 2.
No didn't get it.

What do you get from the similarity of triangles ABC and EBF?

Delta2 said:
No didn't get it
k.png

Likes etotheipi and Delta2
Delta2 said:
The correponding sides are porportional

Yes but can you write the specific equation involving sides AB EB AC and EF?

Delta2 said:
Yes but can you write the specific equation involving sides AB EB AC and EF?
AB/EB = AC/EF =1

Almost correct, you have to remove the =1 part. Now as I told earlier we know that EF=DC (because EFDC is a parallelogram). So what do you get afterall?

Delta2 said:
Almost correct, you have to remove the =1 part. Now as I told earlier we know that EF=DC (because EFDC is a parallelogram). So what do you get afterall?
AB/EB = AC/DC

Likes Delta2
SSG-E said:
AB/EB = AC/DC
It was taht simple?

Yes, it just needed a bit of imagination to bring that parallel line from E to side AC.
Now to prove (2) work with the similarity on triangles ABC and AED. No need to bring any parallel line for this proof.

Delta2 said:
Yes, it just needed a bit of imagination to bring that parallel line from E to side AC.
Now to prove (2) work with the similarity on triangles ABC and AED. No need to bring any parallel line for this proof.
AB/EB = AC/DC = K
AB/AE = AB/AB-EB = AB/AB - AB/EB = 1-K ...a
AC/AD = AC/AC-DC = AC/AC - AC/DC = 1...b
Thus, AB/AE = AC/AD (from 'a' and 'b')

figured it out after an hour, is it correct

Well no the algebra for the equalities of line 2 and 3 is not completely correct because for example $$\frac{AB}{AB-EB}\neq \frac{AB}{AB}-\frac{AB}{EB}$$. But it is $$\frac{AB-EB}{AB}=\frac{AB}{AB}-\frac{EB}{AB}$$ so work with the ratio of $$\frac{AE}{AB}$$ and $$\frac{AD}{AC}$$ instead and you ll be able to prove it in the same spirit, that is using (1) and algebra. However the way I originally proposed at post #17 with similarity of triangles ABC and AED, gives the result in a simple step, without algebraic manipulation.

Likes etotheipi and SSG-E

What is the Basic Proportionality Theorem (Thales Theorem)?

The Basic Proportionality Theorem, also known as Thales Theorem, states that if a line is drawn parallel to one side of a triangle, then it divides the other two sides proportionally.

What is the significance of the Basic Proportionality Theorem?

The Basic Proportionality Theorem is important in geometry because it helps us understand and solve problems involving similar triangles. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering and architecture.

How is the Basic Proportionality Theorem used in real life?

The Basic Proportionality Theorem can be used in real life situations such as determining the height of a building or the distance between two objects. It is also used in map making and navigation to calculate distances and scale.

What is an example of the Basic Proportionality Theorem in action?

One example of the Basic Proportionality Theorem is when a person is standing next to a tall object, such as a tree or a building. By measuring the length of the person's shadow and the shadow of the object, the height of the object can be calculated using the theorem.

What is the difference between the Basic Proportionality Theorem and the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Basic Proportionality Theorem and the Pythagorean Theorem are both used to solve problems involving triangles, but they have different applications. The Basic Proportionality Theorem deals with similar triangles and proportions, while the Pythagorean Theorem is used to find the length of a side in a right triangle.