Basic Quantum Circuit: States of Individual Qubits

In summary, the conversation discusses the action of the controlled-NOT gate on a single qubit and how it affects the control and target qubit. It is noted that entangled qubits do not have individual states and their state can only be fully described by all possible qubits state combinations and their probabilities. The conversation also touches on the computation of the individual qubit probabilities and the confusion it can cause when dealing with entangled systems.
cwill53
Homework Statement
For the teleportation quantum circuit below starting with ##|000\rangle## as ##|q_2 q_1 q_0\rangle##:

A. Reproduce the quantum circuit in QISKIT with the result. (screenshot the results)

B. Label both the quantum and classical registers after each operation as previously shown in the recorded notes.

C. Store the Step 1b measurement result in the 0th classical qubit and store Step 3 measurement result in the 1st classical qubit. How should we modify the conditional CNOT and Z-gates in Step 1b and Step 3 so it will produce the same result? Reproduce in QISKIT.

D. For this example, why is the state of the original electron destroyed? How is it related to the no-cloning theorem? If Alice’s state was ##|0\rangle## , do we need quantum teleportation to transfer the state?
Relevant Equations
$$|0\rangle=\begin{bmatrix}
1\\
\end{bmatrix}$$

$$|1\rangle=\begin{bmatrix}
0\\
\end{bmatrix}$$

$$H=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 1\\
1& -1
\end{bmatrix}$$

$$U_{\textup{XOR}}=\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 &0 &0 \\
0& 1& 0 &0 \\
0 &0 & 0 & 1\\
0& 0 & 1 & 0
\end{bmatrix}$$

$$I=\begin{bmatrix}
1 &0 \\
0& 1
\end{bmatrix}$$

$$Z=\begin{bmatrix}
1 &0 \\
0& -1
\end{bmatrix}$$
I have done part A so far below, but I'm a bit behind on my reading, so I don't quite understand the action of the controlled-NOT gate on a single qubit.
composer.png

What I have so written so far for part B is:

Let ##\mathcal{H}=(\mathbb{C}^2)^{\otimes 3}##. Let ##|\psi _{q_i}\rangle_k## , ##(i\in\left \{ 0,1,2 \right \})## be the state of the ##i##-th qubit in the register after the action of the ##k##-th gate along the wire carrying the ##i##-th qubit. Since the initial state of each qubit is ##|0\rangle=\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0
\end{bmatrix}^T##, we have

$$

|\psi _{q_1}\rangle_1=H|0\rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 1\\
1& -1
\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}
1\\
\end{bmatrix}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{bmatrix}
1\\
\end{bmatrix}
$$

Since I'm behind on my readings, I'm a bit confused as to the action of the controlled-NOT gate and how it changes both the state of the control and target qubit. I was hoping someone could walk me through this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
cwill53 said:
Since I'm behind on my readings, I'm a bit confused as to the action of the controlled-NOT gate and how it changes both the state of the control and target qubit. I was hoping someone could walk me through this problem.

Entanglements not withstanding, the CNOT does not change the control qubit. They will invert the state of the target qubit for conditions where the control bit is "high" or "up" or "1" (your choice of the symbol set).

The reason I say "entanglements not withstanding", is that entangled qubits don't really have individual states. Instead, until measured, the entangled system of qubits has a single state that can be described by all of the possible qubits state combinations and their probabilities.

In this case, the possible combinations of xy are 00, 01, 10, and 11.
If the probabilities of these four states are a, b, c, and d respectively, then the state of the system is specified as: a00> + b01> + c10> + d11>
applying CNOT with x as control and y as target, you would get: a00> + b01> + d10> + c11>

In the sense that the state of x goes from (a+b)0> + (c+d)1> to (a+b)0> + (d+c)1>, x (the control qubit) does not change states.

In contrast, y (the target qubit) will go from (a+c)0> + (b+d)1> to (a+d)0> + (b+c)1>.

But you need to exercise caution when computing the individual qubit probabilities of an entangled system because only the system description a00> + b01> + c10> + d11> fully describes the system state.

Last edited:
Likes cwill53
.Scott said:
Entanglements not withstanding, the CNOT does not change the control qubit. They will invert the state of the target qubit for conditions where the control bit is "high" or "up" or "1" (your choice of the symbol set).

The reason I say "entanglements not withstanding", is that entangled qubits don't really have individual states. Instead, until measured, the entangled system of qubits has a single state that can be described by all of the possible qubits state combinations and their probabilities.

If the probabilities of these four states are a, b, c, and d respectively, then the state of the system is specified as: a00> + b01> + c10> + d11>
applying CNOT with x as control and y as target, you would get: a00> + b01> + d10> + c11>

In the sense that the state of x goes from (a+b)0> + (c+d)1> to (a+b)0> + (d+c)1>, x (the control qubit) does not change states.

In contrast, y (the target qubit) will go from (a+c)0> + (b+d)1> to (a+d)0> + (b+c)1>.

But you need to exercise caution when computing the individual qubit probabilities of an entangled system because only the system description a00> + b01> + c10> + d11> fully describes the system state.
I'm still pretty confused as to what exactly I need to do for this problem. I'm trying to figure out what the state of the entire system should be after Step 1a, but it doesn't quite make sense to me. I have

$$

|\psi _{1a}\rangle=(I\otimes_K I)U_{\textup{CNOT}}(H|0 \rangle\otimes_K|0 \rangle )\otimes_KU_{\textup{CNOT}}(II|0 \rangle\otimes_KH|0 \rangle )
$$

but when I actually compute this I get a 16-dimensional vector, when I know the entangled system should live in an 8-dimensional vector space.

.Scott said:

I've figured out the state of the system at the first barrier. It's
$$|q_2q_1q_0\rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|000\rangle+|011\rangle)$$
I'm stuck trying to find what happens to the state of the system and what's read onto the classical register as a result of the measurement of the state in the first time slice after the first barrier.

1. What is a qubit?

A qubit, short for quantum bit, is the basic unit of quantum information in quantum computing. It is the quantum analogue of a classical bit, and can exist in multiple states simultaneously due to the principles of quantum mechanics.

2. How is a qubit represented in a quantum circuit?

A qubit is typically represented in a quantum circuit as a single line with a symbol, such as a vertical line with a circle or a horizontal line with a plus and minus sign, to indicate its quantum state. This representation is known as the Bloch sphere.

3. What are the possible states of a qubit?

A qubit can exist in a superposition of two states, typically represented as |0> and |1>. This means that a qubit can be in both states simultaneously, with varying probabilities. It can also be in a state of entanglement with another qubit, where the states of the two qubits are correlated.

4. How are quantum gates used to manipulate qubits?

Quantum gates are used in quantum circuits to manipulate the quantum state of a qubit. They can change the probabilities of the qubit being in a certain state, or entangle it with other qubits. Some common quantum gates include the Hadamard gate, CNOT gate, and Pauli gates.

5. What is the difference between a classical bit and a qubit?

A classical bit can only exist in one of two states, 0 or 1, while a qubit can exist in a superposition of both states. This allows for much more information to be stored and processed in a qubit compared to a classical bit. Additionally, the state of a classical bit can be determined without affecting it, while the state of a qubit can only be determined by measuring it, which collapses its superposition.