Basic question about work and gravity

In summary, an object that is not moving in a gravitational field will eventually run out of fuel. To keep it hovering, energy must be supplied to the blades. However, this is not work against gravity, as this energy is needed to create the force needed to oppose gravity.
FredMadison
Hi!

Work is defined as

[tex]dW = F\cdot dr[/tex]

so there is no work required to keep things spatially fixed in a gravitational potential. However, consider a hovering helicopter. Even though it is not moving in the gravitational field, it will eventually run out of fuel. Ofcourse there are dissipative losses but obviously it takes energy to keep the chopper from falling down.

Or when I'm flying my jetpack, I can't stay put at 100 ft indefinitely, it costs energy to keep hovering - still no work is being done.

Where does the energy go?

Physics news on Phys.org
In those cases no work is being done against gravity, but energy is required to create the thrust to oppose gravity.

Supporting the helicopter can be done by placing it on the ground. No energy required. But if you want to support the helicopter in the air, you need to turn the blades and push air down--that takes energy.

So one could basically say that there IS work done because as the blades cut through the air there's a vertical component to the force exerted on the air molecules which for a brief period of time pushes them downward?

Sure, work is being done to move those blades through the air. But it's not work against gravity.

it iz spent in supplying the necessary centripetal force.

sudhanshurija said:
it iz spent in supplying the necessary centripetal force.
:confused:

Ok, so suppose that the helicopter is instead placed upon a rigid body. The distances between molecules in the supporting body are slightly compressed and thereby act as a bunch of tiny springs (if we assume that intermolecular forces can be modeled as derived from a harmonic potential). The compression thus causes a force that balances the gravitational one and an equilibrium state is reached in which no energy consumption is needed.
How is this situation different from the first? Why do we need a constant supply of power to keep an object still in the air, but no power to keep it still on the ground?

FredMadison said:
How is this situation different from the first? Why do we need a constant supply of power to keep an object still in the air, but no power to keep it still on the ground?
You need a constant supply of energy to keep the blades moving, which is required to produce the force needed to support the helicopter in mid air. If you just rest the helicopter on the ground (or hang it from a hook), you won't need to do that. Up to you.

In any case, you're not doing any work against gravity.

Doc Al said:
You need a constant supply of energy to keep the blades moving, which is required to produce the force needed to support the helicopter in mid air. If you just rest the helicopter on the ground (or hang it from a hook), you won't need to do that. Up to you.

In any case, you're not doing any work against gravity.

Fair enough.

But am I doing work against anything else?

FredMadison said:
But am I doing work against anything else?
Of course. You are doing work against the resistance of the air (as the blades turn). (Not to mention overcoming any friction within the mechanism.)

Ok, I think I follow you now. Thanks a lot!

What is work?

Work is defined as the application of a force over a distance. It is a measure of energy transfer and is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance over which it is applied.

What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to be attracted to each other. It is responsible for the motion of planets, moons, and other celestial bodies in the universe.

How does gravity affect work?

Gravity affects work by influencing the force required to move an object against its gravitational pull. When work is done against gravity, the force applied must be greater than the force of gravity pulling the object down.

What is the relationship between work and gravity?

The relationship between work and gravity is that work is required to overcome the force of gravity. The amount of work done against gravity is directly proportional to the force applied and the distance over which it is applied.

What factors affect the amount of work done against gravity?

The amount of work done against gravity is affected by the mass of the object, the force applied, and the distance over which the force is applied. The greater the mass and distance, or the greater the force applied, the more work is required to overcome gravity.