1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic question on Determing Singular Points

1. Jun 25, 2015 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

• Member warned about posting without the template
    Determine the singular points of each function:

f(z) = (z^3+i)/(z^2-3z+2)

So it is my understanding that a singular point is one that makes the denominator 0 in this case.
    We see that (z-2)(z-1) is the denominator and we thus conclude that z =2, z=1 are singular points.

f(z) = (2z+1)/(z(z^2+1))

So, z=0, +/- i are singular points.

Am I understanding this correctly?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

That is how I understand it. In general if you can find a value of z for which f(z) is undefined that is a singularity. You should also check what happens in the numerator to be sure you aren't missing anything.

4. Jun 25, 2015 #3

RUber

Homework Helper

The formal definition for isolated singularities (or singular points), as stated in Fischer's "Complex Variables" is:
    "An analytic function f has an isolated singularity at a point z_0 if f is analytic in the punctured disc 0<|z-z_0|<r, for some r>0.
    That is, the function is well-defined in the neighborhood of the point, but not at the point itself.

5. Jun 26, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Given that f(z) is a rational function, a polynomial divided by a polynomial, then all singular points are where the denominator is 0.

6. Jun 26, 2015 #5

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Excellent. Thank you for this confirmation.

This class is moving fasttttt.

=)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted