Basic question on Determing Singular Points

In summary, singular points are values of z that make the denominator of a function undefined. For the first function, (z-2)(z-1) is the denominator, so z=2 and z=1 are singular points. For the second function, z=0, +/-i are singular points. The formal definition for isolated singularities is when a function is well-defined in a neighborhood of a point, but not at the point itself. For rational functions, all singular points occur when the denominator is 0.
RJLiberator
Gold Member
Member warned about posting without the template
Determine the singular points of each function:

f(z) = (z^3+i)/(z^2-3z+2)

So it is my understanding that a singular point is one that makes the denominator 0 in this case.
We see that (z-2)(z-1) is the denominator and we thus conclude that z =2, z=1 are singular points.

f(z) = (2z+1)/(z(z^2+1))

So, z=0, +/- i are singular points.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
That is how I understand it. In general if you can find a value of z for which f(z) is undefined that is a singularity. You should also check what happens in the numerator to be sure you aren't missing anything.

Likes RJLiberator
The formal definition for isolated singularities (or singular points), as stated in Fischer's "Complex Variables" is:
"An analytic function f has an isolated singularity at a point z_0 if f is analytic in the punctured disc 0<|z-z_0|<r, for some r>0.
That is, the function is well-defined in the neighborhood of the point, but not at the point itself.

Likes RJLiberator
Given that f(z) is a rational function, a polynomial divided by a polynomial, then all singular points are where the denominator is 0.

Likes RJLiberator
Excellent. Thank you for this confirmation.

This class is moving fasttttt.

=)

What are singular points?

Singular points, also known as critical points, are points on a graph where the derivative is equal to zero or does not exist. These points can provide important information about the behavior of a function.

How do you determine singular points?

To determine singular points, you must first take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the variable to find the x-values of the singular points. You can also use the graph of the function to identify any points where the graph has a sharp turn or a cusp, as these are also potential singular points.

Why are singular points important?

Singular points are important because they can provide information about the behavior of a function. They can indicate where the function is increasing or decreasing, where it has a local maximum or minimum, and where it may have interesting shapes or features.

What is the difference between a singular point and an inflection point?

A singular point is a point on a graph where the derivative is equal to zero or does not exist. An inflection point, on the other hand, is a point where the concavity of the graph changes. While a singular point can also be an inflection point, not all inflection points are singular points.

How can singular points be used in real-life applications?

In real-life applications, singular points can be used to analyze the behavior of a system or process. For example, in economics, singular points can be used to determine the optimal production level for a company. In physics, singular points can be used to analyze the motion of objects. In general, singular points can help us understand and predict the behavior of various systems and processes.