On weakly singular equations and Frobenius' method

psie
Homework Statement
Find a basis for the solution space of (a) ##t(t-1)^2x''-2x=0, 0<t<1## and (b) ##4(t^2+t^3)x''-4tx'+(3+t)x=0, t>0##.
Relevant Equations
This exercise appears in a section on the Frobenius' method. Some results related to this method are given below.
Definition 2. The differential equation $$x''(z)+p(z)x'(z)+q(z)x(x)=0\tag1$$ is called weakly singular at the origin if ##p(z)## has at most a simple pole and ##q(z)## at most a double pole there, in other words, if $$p(z)=\frac{p_0}{z}+p_1+p_2z+\ldots,\quad q(z)=\frac{q_0}{z^2}+\frac{q_1}{z}+q_2+q_3z\ldots .$$

Theorem 6. A basis for the solution space of ##(1)## is $$z^\mu a(z),\quad z^\nu b(z),$$ or $$z^\mu a(z),\quad (z^\mu \log(z))a(z)+z^\nu b(z).$$ Here ##a(z)## and ##b(z)## are analytic functions in a neighborhood of the origin.

##\mu## is a root of the so-called indicial equation ##I(\lambda)=\lambda(\lambda-1)+p_0\lambda+q_0##. ##\nu## can also be a root of the indicial equation, or we may have ##\mu=\nu##

My attempt so far is trying to characterize both equations according to Definition 2, as well as identifying ##p_0## and ##q_0##, so I can obtain the indicial equation. Then I could probably solve this myself.

My strategy is to rewrite the equation on the form given in Definition 2, so for (a) $$x''-\frac{2}{t(t-1)^2}x=0,$$ and (b) $$x''-\frac{t}{t^2+t^3}x'+\frac{3+t}{t^2+t^3}x=0\iff x''-\frac{1}{t(1+t)}x'+\frac{3+t}{t^2(1+t)}x=0.$$ I struggle with the fact that both these equations do not seem to satisfy Definition 2. In particular, there seems to be a pole both at the origin and at ##z=\pm1##. I have not encountered a problem like this before and I'm a little puzzled on how to continue. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Both of these satisfy Definition 2; they just do so at multiple points. Note that in (b) you are asked for solutions in [itex]t > 0[/itex], so the behaviour near the other singular point at -1 is of no consequence.

In (a), you can either obtain a basis whose behaviour near the origin is known, or a basis whose behaviour near 1 is known. Doing both and expressing them in terms of each other is probably beyond the scope of the question.

Likes psie
Take for example (a). We can use partial fraction decomposition to get $$x''-\frac{2}{t(t-1)^2}x=0\iff x''-\left(\frac2{(t-1)^2}-\frac2{t-1}+\frac2{t}\right)x=0.$$ I'm confused about how to identify ##q_0## here, since ##q(z)## is not of the form ##q(z)=\frac{q_0}{z^2}+\frac{q_1}{z}+q_2+q_3z\ldots##.

Moreover, should my attempt/ansatz be modified so that the power series is centered at ##t=1##, i.e. ##t^\mu a(t)=t^\mu\sum_{k=0}^\infty a_k(t-1)^k##? This seems to cause trouble with the fraction ##\frac2{t}## in the equation...

Since I have the solution to (a), I'll just post it here: ##x(t)=A\frac{t}{1-t}+B\left(t+1+\frac{2t}{1-t}\log(t)\right).##

Last edited:
psie said:
Take for example (a). We can use partial fraction decomposition to get $$x''-\frac{2}{t(t-1)^2}x=0\iff x''-\left(\frac2{(t-1)^2}-\frac2{t-1}+\frac2{t}\right)x=0.$$ I'm confused about how to identify ##q_0## here, since ##q(z)## is not of the form ##q(z)=\frac{q_0}{z^2}+\frac{q_1}{z}+q_2+q_3z\ldots##.
[tex]\begin{split}
q(t) &= -\frac{2}{t(1-t)^2} \\
&= -\frac 2t (1 - t)^{-2} \\
& = -\frac2t \left(1 + (-2)(-t) +\frac{(-2)(-3)}{2!}(-t)^2 + \dots\right) \\
&= \frac{q_0}{t^2} + \frac{q_1}{t} +\dots \\
\end{split}[/tex] so that [itex]q_0 = 0[/itex] and [itex]q_1 = -4[/itex] (EDIT: -2 is correct).

Moreover, should my attempt/ansatz be modified so that the power series is centered at ##t=1##, i.e. ##t^\mu a(t)=t^\mu\sum_{k=0}^\infty a_k(t-1)^k##? This seems to cause trouble with the fraction ##\frac2{t}## in the equation...

You want [tex]
x(t) = (1 - t)^{\mu}a(t) = (1 - t)^{\mu} \sum_{k=0}^\infty a_k(1-t)^k.[/tex] This follows from substituting [itex]t = 1 - u[/itex] so that [itex]0 < u = 1 - t < 1[/itex] is positive (and [itex]u^{\mu}[/itex] is real and positive).

Last edited:
Likes psie
Ok, so far I've been able to find one solution to (a). Identifying ##q_0=0## and ##p_0=0## in (a), the indicial equation reads $$\lambda(\lambda-1)=0,$$ with roots ##\mu=1## and ##\nu=0##. I'll try the Ansatz $$\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}a_k t^{k}.$$ Expanding ##\frac{2}{(t-1)^2}##, the ODE reads $$\sum a_k k(k-1)t^{k-2} = \sum 2(k+1)t^k \sum a_kt^{k-1},$$ where the index runs from ##k\geq0##. Here we observe that ##a_0=0##, since the RHS would otherwise contain a term with ##1/t##, whereas the LHS does not. So, the ODE reads $$\sum a_{k+2}(k+2)(k+1)t^k = \sum 2(k+1)t^k \sum a_{k+1}t^k,$$where sums again go from ##k\geq0##. Put ##c_k = 2(k+1)## and ##d_k = a_{k+1}##. From products of power series, we know that the coefficients in the RHS will be ##\sum_{j=0}^k d_j c_{k-j} = \sum_{j=0}^k a_{j+1}\cdot 2(k-j+1)##. Thus we obtain the recurrence relation $$a_{k+2}(k+2)(k+1) = \sum_{j=0}^k a_{j+1}\cdot 2(k-j+1)\iff a_{k+2} = \sum_{j=0} \frac{2(k-j+1)}{(k+2)(k+1)}a_{j+1}.$$ ##a_1## seems to be quite arbitrary, so put ##a_1=C\in\mathbb C##, then it follows by induction that ##a_k=a_1## for ##k\geq 1##. We thus obtain the solution $$x_0(t)=C\frac{t}{1-t}.$$

The other solution will either be of the form ##t b(t)## or ##\log(t)a(t)+t b(t)##, where ##a(t)=x_0(t)## and ##b(t)## is analytic, according to the theorem above. How do I know which one to guess? I'm looking for the path of least work.

Having obtained one solution [itex]x_1[/itex], you can obtain a second linearly independent solution [tex]
x_2(t) = x_1(t)\int_{t_0}^t \frac{W(s)}{x_1^2(s)}\,ds[/tex] where [itex]W = x_1x_2' - x_2x_1'[/itex] satisfies [tex]W' = -pW.[/tex] In this case [itex]p = 0[/itex] so you can take [itex]W = 1[/itex].

Likes psie
Thank you. I have found a second solution to (a) and indeed, the general solution agrees with the solution I posted earlier.

I'm trying to convince myself that (b) also satisfies Definition 2 (so I can find ##p_0## and ##q_0##). Recall $$x''-\frac{t}{t^2+t^3}x'+\frac{3+t}{4(t^2+t^3)}x=0\iff x''-\frac{1}{t(1+t)}x'+\frac{3+t}{4t^2(1+t)}x=0.$$ I guess to see that it is of the form as given in definition 2, we need to expand ##1/(1+t)##, but can we do that when the series for ##1/(1+t)## only converges for ##|t|<1## and we are looking for solutions in ##t>0##?

psie said:
I guess to see that it is of the form as given in definition 2, we need to expand ##1/(1+t)##, but can we do that when the series for ##1/(1+t)## only converges for ##|t|<1## and we are looking for solutions in ##t>0##?

Yes. You should not expect the power series for [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]q[/itex] about the origin to have radius of convergence greater than 1, due to the singularity at [itex]-1[/itex]. The resulting series solution may not have radius of convergence greater than 1 for the same reason; however it may be possible to continue it analytically to some open region of [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] which contains [itex][1, \infty)[/itex].

Here, however, it is not necessary to do a series expansion: you can see from [tex]
q(t) = \frac{3 + t}{4t^2(1 + t)} = \frac{1}{4t^2}\left( 1 + \frac{2}{1 + t} \right)[/tex] that [itex]t^2q(t)[/itex] is analytic at the origin. Hence [tex]
t^2 q(t) = q_0 + q_1 t + \dots \Rightarrow q(t) = q_0t^{-2} + q_1t^{-1} + \dots[/tex] so that evaluating [itex]\lim_{t \to 0} t^2q(t)[/itex] will give [itex]q_0 = 3/4[/itex]. In the same way you can see that [itex]tp(t)[/itex] is analytic at the origin, so that [itex]p_0 = \lim_{t \to 0} tp(t) = -1[/itex].

Likes psie

1. What are weakly singular equations?

Weakly singular equations are differential equations that have a singularity at an endpoint of the interval of definition. These equations are characterized by a singularity that is integrable, meaning that the singularity does not cause the solution to be unbounded at the endpoint.

2. What is Frobenius' method?

Frobenius' method is a technique used to find power series solutions for differential equations with regular singular points. It involves assuming a solution of the form of a power series, plugging it into the differential equation, and solving for the coefficients by matching terms of the same power.

3. How is Frobenius' method applied to weakly singular equations?

When applying Frobenius' method to weakly singular equations, special care must be taken at the singular endpoint. The power series solution is assumed to have a specific form that accounts for the singularity, and the coefficients are determined by solving a recurrence relation that arises from plugging the power series into the differential equation.

4. What are the applications of weakly singular equations and Frobenius' method?

Weakly singular equations and Frobenius' method have applications in various fields of science and engineering, including physics, biology, and finance. These techniques are used to solve differential equations that arise in modeling real-world phenomena with singular behavior at endpoints or critical points.

5. Are there any limitations to using Frobenius' method for weakly singular equations?

One limitation of using Frobenius' method for weakly singular equations is that the method may not always converge or produce a valid solution. In some cases, the assumptions made in applying the method may not hold, leading to difficulties in finding a satisfactory solution. It is important to carefully analyze the properties of the differential equation and the behavior of the solution near the singular point to determine the applicability of Frobenius' method.