1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic S.T.R. problem. K vs K' systems.

1. Sep 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An event occurs in system K' at x' = 2 m, y' = 3.5 m, z' = 3.5 m, and t' = 0. System K' and K have their axes coincident at t = t' = 0, and system K' travels along the x axis of system K with a speed 0.92c. What are the coordinates of the event in system K?

2. Relevant equations

x' = [tex]\gamma[/tex](x-vt)
    t' = [tex]\gamma[/tex](t-(v/c^2)x)

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that, as the system is not moving in either the y or z directions that y and z are the same, so y=3.5m and z=3.5m. I feel as though t should = 0, because in the problem statement it clearly says that "their axes coincident at t=t'=0 so if t'=0 then t should =0, but I've been told that's not right... I'm completely at a loss for x.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What that means is (t,x)=(0,0) and (t',x')=(0,0) are the same point. It doesn't say anything about points other than the origin. It's like rotations of the xy-plane. The origin for both the unrotated and rotate axes coincide, but other points on the x-axis don't lie on the x' axis. Similarly, just because a point lies on the t'=0 line, it's not going to be on the t=0 line.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook