Batteries: voltages when in series, parallel, and combination?

In summary, the voltage across six 1.5 V batteries is 9 V when connected in series, 1.5 V when connected in parallel, and 3 V when three batteries are connected in parallel and then connected in series with the remaining three. There is no information about resistors, but in series circuits, voltages add up while in parallel circuits, they remain the same. This is because voltage is the potential difference between two points.
jle1092
Question involving the voltage when batteries are connected in different ways?
What is the voltage across six 1.5 V batteries when they are connected a) in series b) in parallel, c) three in parallel with one another and this combination wired in series with the remaining three?

I'm not sure if there is an equation to use for these, but this is what I thought the answers should be:
a) 9. Since they are in series don't I just add all of the volts up?
b)1.5 Since each pathway is seperate?
c) This one I have no clue

I really need to understand how this works. What confuses me is there is no information about resistors so I don't really know how to solve this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically, voltages add up in series, but are the same when in parallel. The reason for this is that voltage is the potential difference. As the parallel circuit both have the same beginning and end potential for each of the different paths, the voltages i.e. potential differences are the same for those paths.

1. What is the difference between series and parallel connections for batteries?

In series connections, batteries are connected end-to-end, with the positive terminal of one battery connected to the negative terminal of the next. This increases the total voltage of the batteries, but the current remains the same. In parallel connections, batteries are connected side-by-side, with the positive terminals connected together and the negative terminals connected together. This increases the total current, but the voltage remains the same.

2. What happens to the voltage when batteries are connected in series?

When batteries are connected in series, the voltage increases. For example, if two 1.5V batteries are connected in series, the total voltage will be 3V. This is because the positive terminal of one battery is connected to the negative terminal of the other, creating a continuous loop for current to flow through.

3. What happens to the voltage when batteries are connected in parallel?

When batteries are connected in parallel, the voltage remains the same. For example, if two 1.5V batteries are connected in parallel, the total voltage will still be 1.5V. This is because the positive terminals are connected together and the negative terminals are connected together, creating multiple paths for current to flow through.

4. What happens to the voltage when batteries are connected in a combination of series and parallel?

In a combination of series and parallel connections, the total voltage will depend on the specific arrangement of the batteries. For example, if two sets of two batteries are connected in series and then those two sets are connected in parallel, the total voltage will be 6V (2 sets of 3V in series, connected in parallel). It is important to carefully plan and arrange the batteries to achieve the desired voltage and current.

5. How does the voltage affect the overall performance of a battery?

The voltage of a battery is a measure of its electrical potential and is a key factor in determining its performance. Generally, the higher the voltage, the more energy a battery can provide. However, it is important to note that the voltage will decrease as the battery is used and its energy is depleted. It is also important to consider the current and other factors when determining the performance of a battery.