Why U ≠ 4 When Battery is 4V?

• Thread starter Drizzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, the conversation is about the concept of voltage and its relationship to a battery and resistors in a closed circuit. The battery provides a certain voltage, but this voltage can be divided between resistors in the circuit. The voltage is the work done by the electric field to move electrons from one point to another, and is also referred to as potential. The potential difference between two points is given by V=VA-VB, and this difference can affect the flow of current in the circuit.
Drizzy

Homework Statement

(My english is not good)

If I have a battery that is 4v why isn't U = 4 ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What is U?

U=RI I don't know what it is called in english

Your question is not clear. Are you saying the battery is connected to a resistor of value R and a current of value I is flowing through it? Please make your question clearer.

The voltage of the battery will be equal to I x R. Why do you think it is not?

Drizzy said:
U=RI I don't know what it is called in english
What you are calling 'U' appears to be a lower case 'v'. In any event, 'v' is called the 'voltage' in English.

V = I R is the mathematical statement of Ohm's Law.

Becouse the voltage U gets divided between the resistors and so if you have two resistors and 4 volts battery, the voltage gets divided between the two resistors. And so you can have 2volts on one resistor and 2 on the other. Or 3 on one resistor and 1 on the other. It depends entirely on the resistances values.

Last edited by a moderator:
lets say i have this:
Grim Arrow said:
Becouse the voltage U gets divided between the resistors and so if u have two resistors and 4 volts battery, the voltage gets divided between the two resistors. And so u can have 2volts on one resistor and 2 on the other. Or 3 on one resistor and 1 on the other. It deppends entirely on the resistances values.

I don't now exactly what voltage is. I have tried to google it and i have watched lots of videos. All of them say: think of it this way "how bad do the electron want to move". Is the volt same befpre and after a resistor?

But what is U? I don't understand what it is. The only thing I see is a letter not what it actakly is

Drizzy said:
But what is U? I don't understand what it is. The only thing I see is a letter not what it actakly is
What voltage is: Imagine 2 atoms divided by a distance. Atom A and atom B. Atom A looses some of the electrons therefore it becomes more positive(the positive charge of the protons becomes less compensated). Its electric field becomes stronger. Now you should know that every atom has a positive core and that core uses electric field to attract electrons in. However, since both atoms before were in equilibrium and now suddently A looses electrons it field grows and the equilibrium is broken. In order to restore it, A will attract some of the electrons from B until both atoms have the same positive charge. At that point equilibrium is restored and every single electron who left B will make it more positive than A and B will attract it back. ! Take in mind that i use single atoms in my argumentation. In battery is the same but there are billions of atoms more. So Voltage is the work done by the electric field to move an electron from (in this case) B to A. Also B may be 3volts and A6volts. There still will be potential difference of 3volts between them and current will still flow. What happens is that A becomes less positive as it is accepting electrons and B becomes more positive becouse it is giving away electrons leaving behind more uncompensated positive charge. Current will flow until A and B has the same voltage: A-6,5,4 5volts B-3,4,4.5volts. The voltage between this two points is given by V=VA-VB. Does this helped you, let me know. Also you can see Atom steucture in internet

Also current I is a flow of electrons in one dirrection coused by a potential difference between 2points (in our case A and B). Voltage is also called potential. The faster the electrons the bigger is the heat and light and magnetic field generated. The bigger the potential difference- the bigger will be the atttaction force on these electrons and faster they will be.

And U is the EU version of V. Both are Voltage

1. Why is U not equal to 4 when the battery is 4V?

This is because the voltage (V) of a battery is a measure of potential difference, while the potential (U) is a measure of electrical potential energy. The two are related by the equation U = QV, where Q is the charge. Therefore, the potential difference of 4V does not necessarily mean that the potential energy is also 4, as it depends on the amount of charge in the system.

2. Can the potential (U) ever be equal to the voltage (V) of a battery?

Yes, it is possible for U to be equal to V in certain situations. This occurs when there is no charge in the system, meaning Q = 0. In this case, the equation becomes U = 0V, which means that the potential energy is also 0.

3. How does the amount of charge affect the potential (U) and voltage (V) of a battery?

The amount of charge in a system directly affects the potential energy and voltage. As mentioned before, the equation U = QV shows that the two are directly proportional. This means that an increase in charge will result in an increase in both potential energy and voltage, while a decrease in charge will result in a decrease in both.

4. Why is it important to understand the difference between potential (U) and voltage (V) when dealing with batteries?

Understanding the difference between potential and voltage is crucial in order to accurately measure and predict the behavior of a battery. While voltage is a measurable quantity, potential is a concept that helps us understand the energy stored in a system. By understanding this difference, we can make informed decisions about the use and maintenance of batteries.

5. Is there a way to change the potential (U) of a battery without changing its voltage (V)?

No, the potential and voltage of a battery are directly related and cannot be changed independently. The only way to change the potential is to change the amount of charge in the system, which will also result in a change in voltage. However, the potential can be affected by external factors such as temperature and resistance, which can indirectly impact the voltage of a battery.