Work done of charger of a battery

In summary, the conversation involves a question about calculating the work done by a circuit with two opposing batteries of 4V and 2V, and a current of 2A. The work done by the whole circuit is 4 J. However, it is unclear how to calculate the work done by each individual battery. The dimension for work is voltage x charge/time, also known as current. The person asking the question is also feeling sleepy.
FaroukYasser
NEVER MIND! I realized my question is kind of stupid. Its night here and I am kind of sleepy. :))

Homework Statement

a battery of 4V is connected opposite to a battery of 2V to charge the 2V battery. assume the current running through the circuit to be 2 Ampere. What is the Work done by
1) the Whole circuit
2) By the 4V battery
3) by the 2V battery

Homework Equations

Work = Voltage x Charge

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I know that 2 A is 2 Columb/second. and since the two batteries are opposite the whole circuit work done is (4 - 2)V x 2 Columb = 4 J
2) for part 2 and 3 I am not sure I I should consider each battery by its own or what to do?
Also if we do do consider both, Isn't the current flowing in the 2V in the opposite direction of its positive terminal therefore makes it negative Work done! (work done is scalar)
a little clarification and a little help with the question would be really appreciated :))
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Voltage x Charge doesn't give you the correct dimension. Voltage x Charge/time does. Charge/time is also known as current.
[edit] Oops :redface:, my mistake. Tooooo quick. Work is what you want, not power.
[edit2] Is this really the full text of the exercise ?
[edit3] Night here too; only now do I read the very first line... Oh well, :smile:

Last edited:
BvU said:
Voltage x Charge doesn't give you the correct dimension. Voltage x Charge/time does. Charge/time is also known as current.
[edit] Oops :redface:, my mistake. Tooooo quick. Work is what you want, not power.
[edit2] Is this really the full text of the exercise ?
[edit3] Night here too; only now do I read the very first line... Oh well, :smile:

Hahahahaha No problem man :D :D Sleepiness does more :)) :D

1. How is work done of a charger of a battery calculated?

The work done of a charger of a battery is calculated by multiplying the charger's output voltage by the amount of charge it delivers to the battery. This is known as the electrical energy transferred.

2. What is the significance of work done of a charger of a battery?

The work done of a charger of a battery is important because it determines the amount of energy that is transferred to the battery, which in turn affects the battery's charging time and overall performance.

3. How does the type of charger affect the work done on a battery?

The type of charger used can affect the work done on a battery. For example, a fast charger may deliver a higher amount of energy to the battery in a shorter period of time, resulting in a higher work done. On the other hand, a trickle charger may deliver a lower amount of energy over a longer period of time, resulting in a lower work done.

4. Does the work done of a charger of a battery affect the battery's lifespan?

Yes, the work done of a charger of a battery can affect the battery's lifespan. If a charger consistently delivers too much energy to the battery, it can cause damage and decrease the battery's lifespan. It is important to use a charger that is compatible with the battery and to avoid overcharging.

5. How can the work done of a charger of a battery be optimized?

The work done of a charger of a battery can be optimized by using a charger that is specifically designed for the type and capacity of the battery being charged. It is also important to monitor the charging process and avoid overcharging the battery. Using a charger with adjustable voltage settings and features such as automatic shut-off can also help optimize the work done on a battery.