Circuits with two sources of Emf

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with understanding circuits with two sources of emf and how one source can be used to recharge a battery. The conversation mentions Kirchhoff's laws and a website that was referenced for further understanding of the topic. The issue of not being able to charge a battery with ideal sources is brought up, and it is explained that in reality there are limiting factors such as internal resistance and wires that prevent the circuit from short-circuiting. The conversation also mentions a homework problem that is similar to the issue at hand and clarifies some of the variables and equations involved. The conversation concludes with the question of how the circuit actually charges the battery and what role the internal resistance plays in this process.
Jimmy87

Homework Statement

This isn't a homework problem per say but I am struggling with what we are doing in class at the moment which is to do with circuits with two sources of Emf. More specifically, how one source can be used to re-charge a battery. I have looked at the following website which i will refer to below (https://www.boundless.com/physics/textbooks/boundless-physics-textbook/circuits-and-direct-currents-20/resistors-in-series-and-parallel-151/charging-a-battery-emfs-in-series-and-parallel-536-5597/)

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's laws.

The Attempt at a Solution

I get that when one the positive side of one source of Emf is wired to the positive side of the other source then the combined Emf is the difference between the two. What I don't get is why this charges a battery. Imagine the source Emf (to charge the battery) is 12V and it is charging a battery which is running low at 4V (compared to its normal voltage of 10V). A diagram of this set up that I have seen has nothing else in the circuit just these two Emf sources. How does Kirchoff's voltage loop rule apply? If I gain 12V through the source voltage then drop 4V I am not at zero volts? What am I missing?

Many thanks to any help offered!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are missing 8 Volts. Corny, isn't it ? But there is some truth in it, nevertheless. Point is that you can't do this with ideal sources: connecting these two would be the equivalent of short-circuiting an 8 V battery. In which case your Kirchoff rule has the same difficulty.

In reality there is always something that limits the current from going to infinity: the internal resistance of the charger, the resistance of the wires to connect the two, some other current limiting device (or a simple resistor). The r1 and r2 in the second picture in your link.

BvU said:
You are missing 8 Volts. Corny, isn't it ? But there is some truth in it, nevertheless. Point is that you can't do this with ideal sources: connecting these two would be the equivalent of short-circuiting an 8 V battery. In which case your Kirchoff rule has the same difficulty.

In reality there is always something that limits the current from going to infinity: the internal resistance of the charger, the resistance of the wires to connect the two, some other current limiting device (or a simple resistor). The r1 and r2 in the second picture in your link.

I have found and uploaded a question similar to what I described. I really don't understand how the battery is being re-charged - i.e. what is causing this. Doesn't there need to be a voltage drop across the battery being charged in order to charge it? Is this 7.6V or is it the difference between the two i.e. 6.4V?

Attachments

• Charging Battery Question.jpg
    Charging Battery Question.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 464
  • Charging Battery Question (2).docx
    223.1 KB · Views: 253
Must be my old eyes. Can't read a word.

I have just changed the question to a word doc as the jpg was too small.

Sorry! Yes it was very small

Good. So we are in the right place: a homework forum with a problem statement (plus all variables and given/known data), relevant equations (well, one, to start with) and an attempt at solution.

The diagram in the word document can't be the diagram you have seen, because there is a lot more to see than just the two emf sources.

And I'm quite convinced that you can fill in the blanks (or rather: write the answers on the dots).
(b) (i) 1 is easy. Oblige me.
(b) (i) 2 well, since we've brought along good old Kirchoff, let's assume his law holds: 0 (zero) Volts would seem a good answer to me. Do you agree ?

The fact that we are looking at a (b) part, more specifically at a (b) (i) part, makes me suspect there is more to follow !

(And I'm curious to see the diagram you describe in post #1 ! Who knows we will need another equation - one connecting voltage and current)

By the way, connecting a flat car battery to a charger (or a full battery in another car to jump-start (*)) generally causes a hefty spray of sparks to fly !(*) make sure the other car has the engine running when you have to do this in practice

--

BvU said:
Good. So we are in the right place: a homework forum with a problem statement (plus all variables and given/known data), relevant equations (well, one, to start with) and an attempt at solution.

The diagram in the word document can't be the diagram you have seen, because there is a lot more to see than just the two emf sources.

And I'm quite convinced that you can fill in the blanks (or rather: write the answers on the dots).
(b) (i) 1 is easy. Oblige me.
(b) (i) 2 well, since we've brought along good old Kirchoff, let's assume his law holds: 0 (zero) Volts would seem a good answer to me. Do you agree ?

The fact that we are looking at a (b) part, more specifically at a (b) (i) part, makes me suspect there is more to follow !

(And I'm curious to see the diagram you describe in post #1 ! Who knows we will need another equation - one connecting voltage and current)

By the way, connecting a flat car battery to a charger (or a full battery in another car to jump-start (*)) generally causes a hefty spray of sparks to fly !(*) make sure the other car has the engine running when you have to do this in practice

--

Thanks. I can easily get the answers. b (i) is the sum of the internal resistance which is 0.80 Ohms and b (ii) is the driving emf minus the battery emf which is 6.4V. I can do the questions easily but I just really don't understand how the circuit works to charge the battery. Am I correct in saying that if you do the loop rule there is a voltage gain of 14V and a voltage drop of 7.6V across the battery. Does the rest get dropped across the internal resistance? What is it that is charging the battery? Is it the fact that the battery charger drives current backwards through the battery?

I would maintain (b) (ii) zero volt: there is a voltage drop of 6.4 V over the two resistors. So yes, the 'rest gets dropped' over the internal resistors (assuming the cabling has negligible resistance).

It (and now we bring in uncle Ohm's law) causes a current of 6.4 V/0.8 ##\Omega## = 8 A (or am I now giving away (b) (i) 3 or (b) (ii) 1 ?). That is litterally pumped into the flat battery and does some obscure electrochemical work to charge it until it's full. Then, when disconnected from the charger and re-installed in the car, it can deliver the nominal 12 V again.

BvU said:
I would maintain (b) (ii) zero volt: there is a voltage drop of 6.4 V over the two resistors. So yes, the 'rest gets dropped' over the internal resistors (assuming the cabling has negligible resistance).

It (and now we bring in uncle Ohm's law) causes a current of 6.4 V/0.8 ##\Omega## = 8 A (or am I now giving away (b) (i) 3 or (b) (ii) 1 ?). That is litterally pumped into the flat battery and does some obscure electrochemical work to charge it until it's full. Then, when disconnected from the charger and re-installed in the car, it can deliver the nominal 12 V again.

Ah ok that makes sense thanks. So how would you find the power delivered to the battery being charged - would it be P = V I = 7.6V x 8A = 60.8W. I am confused whether the voltage drop across the battery is 7.6V as this seems to also be the emf of the battery which is confusing?

Yeah, the voltage drop over the flat battery is 7.6 V. At least:

upload_2015-5-6_0-34-50.png

By the time it is fully charged, it should be 12 V again (at least if that is the nominal voltage of the thing).

Google "how does a car battery work" to find out more.

[edit] I did and Wikipedia says flat means 11.7 V -- perhaps your exercise battery is an 8 V battery.
Anyway: you need a hgher voltage than the battery gives off to charge it -- otherwise there simply won't be any current flowing.

BvU said:
Yeah, the voltage drop over the flat battery is 7.6 V. At least:

View attachment 83103

By the time it is fully charged, it should be 12 V again (at least if that is the nominal voltage of the thing).

Google "how does a car battery work" to find out more.

[edit] I did and Wikipedia says flat means 11.7 V -- perhaps your exercise battery is an 8 V battery.
Anyway: you need a hgher voltage than the battery gives off to charge it -- otherwise there simply won't be any current flowing.

Thanks for all your help! Much more informed now.

What is a circuit with two sources of emf?

A circuit with two sources of emf is a type of electrical circuit that has two separate sources of electromotive force (emf) or voltage. This means that there are two sources providing energy to the circuit, which can result in a more complex flow of current.

How does a circuit with two sources of emf differ from a circuit with one source?

In a circuit with one source of emf, the current flows in a single direction from the positive terminal of the source to the negative terminal. However, in a circuit with two sources of emf, the current can flow in multiple directions depending on the relative strengths and directions of the two sources.

What are the types of circuits with two sources of emf?

There are two main types of circuits with two sources of emf: series circuits and parallel circuits. In a series circuit, the two sources of emf are connected one after the other, creating a single path for the current to flow. In a parallel circuit, the two sources of emf are connected in separate branches, allowing the current to split and flow through both sources.

What are some applications of circuits with two sources of emf?

Circuits with two sources of emf are commonly used in electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and smartphones. They are also used in power distribution systems to provide backup power in case one source fails. Additionally, they are used in renewable energy systems, such as solar panels, to combine the energy from multiple sources.

What factors affect the behavior of a circuit with two sources of emf?

The behavior of a circuit with two sources of emf is affected by several factors, including the strengths and directions of the two sources, the resistance of the circuit, and the arrangement of the components in the circuit. Changes in any of these factors can alter the flow of current and voltage in the circuit.