Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Battlefield Earth and scientology? huh?

1. Apr 25, 2009 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

So this movie was just on Encore and i had seen it before but i decided to watch it again. Again, thoroughly bored and i can see why it's one of the worst movies ever. What did confuse me though is that my friend says its a propaganda piece for Scientology. I don't get it. I know who John Travolta "is" and all the controversy when it came out and everything outside of the movie.... but the movie itself just seemed like a terrible piece of Hollywood filth like most other movies that seem to be coming out. What about the movie itself is suppose to scream "scientology"?? I asked a friend who is the self-proclaimed expert and she threw a bunch of links at me about what scientology is and how evil it is and what its doing... of course, that didn't answer my question at all and she eventually said she had never even seen the movie. So what about the actual movie is suppose to scream out scientology? at least nazi propaganda mentioned "Nazism" at some point...

Signed,
    Clueless in Antarctica.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2009 #2

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Battlefield Earth" was originally a novel written by Ron L. Hubbard, the founder of Scientology(the only reason Travolta did the film). I'm not sure that there is any overt Scientology pushing in the novel, but you might find some parallel themes.

About the only real connection I do know of between the novel and Scientology is that the Church of Scientology allegedly bought up copies of the book to drive up sales in order to get it on the best sellers list.

4. Apr 25, 2009 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The movie! I know allllll about (as much as i care to know) l. ron cucumber or whoever and the book and the fact that the movies based off the book. However, when i saw the movie, it was just 2 hours of stupidity and some god awfully ugly elf-dude running aroun dlike a monkey... nothing that really sounded like a Scientology promotional piece.

5. Apr 26, 2009 #4
  6. Apr 26, 2009 #5
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_Earth_(novel)#Scientology-related_themes

7. Apr 26, 2009 #6

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well I wouldn't say that it was a promotional piece in the manner of overtly pushing the teaching of Scientology, but more along these lines:

They were betting that some of the people who saw the movie would like it enough to read the book, which in turn would lead them to reading other works by Hubbard, including "Dianetics", which in turn leads them to the Church of Scientology.

They were "fishing" for new converts. Luckily, they used rotten bait.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook