Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

BCS theory in thermo field dynamics

1. Feb 13, 2008 #1
    Can you help me to extend the BCS theory developed in Thermo Dynamics (TFD) formalism to high-temperature superconductivity?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2008 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Your question here is puzzling. BCS theory developed in "Thermo Dynamics"? Can you cite a source for such a development?

Zz.

4. Feb 13, 2008 #3
    excuse me, BCS theory developed in Thermo field dynamics (TFD), I merely as a source the article "Derivation and application of the boson method in superconductivity" L.Leplae and all, but the method is developed for the conventional superconductivity. I want apply this method to high temperature superconductivity but I don't Know how to do?

5. Feb 13, 2008 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I still don't get the "Thermo field dynamics".

The validity of BCS in high Tc superconductor is still unknown. That is still part of the research-front work in this field. In fact, there are many indications that BCS may not be applicable for these compounds (re: Anderson's RVB theory).

So you're asking for something that does exist yet.

BTW, when you cite something, please give the full citation, i.e. author, journal name, volume, page number, and year of publication. Those are usually the minimum set of information required when doing a citation.

Zz.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  6. Feb 16, 2008 #5
  7. Feb 16, 2008 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You forgot to make the link to BCS theory. Why would this be relevant here?

Remember that BCS bosons are not identical to BEC bosons. That's why the fermionic condensates that was discovered a year ago made such a major news, because now we have evidence that the connection between BCS and BEC is possibly not an abrupt phase transition, but rather a smooth crossover. But this connection is still being worked on and there are no definite answers yet.

So how you are making this "thermo field" of bosons to connect to BCS theory is puzzling, at least to me.

Zz.

8. Feb 17, 2008 #7
    You can find the application of the thermo field dynamics to BCS theory “the boson method” in the works of L.Leplae, F. Mancini and Umezawa.
    This method is completly different to BEC method.

9. Feb 17, 2008 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

<scratching head>

Then why did you give a reference to the previous paper on BEC when it isn't relevant to BCS?

Could you also give a more complete citation than that? Include journal name, volume number, page number, and year as well.

Zz.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?