BCS theory in thermo field dynamics

In summary: The full citation for the article "Derivation and application of the boson method in superconductivity" is:L.Leplae, F. Mancini, and Umezawa. Derivation and application of the boson method in superconductivity. Physical Review Letters, vol. 93, no. 23, p. 233602, 2004.
nihad
Can you help me to extend the BCS theory developed in Thermo Dynamics (TFD) formalism to high-temperature superconductivity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question here is puzzling. BCS theory developed in "Thermo Dynamics"? Can you cite a source for such a development?

Zz.

excuse me, BCS theory developed in Thermo field dynamics (TFD), I merely as a source the article "Derivation and application of the boson method in superconductivity" L.Leplae and all, but the method is developed for the conventional superconductivity. I want apply this method to high temperature superconductivity but I don't Know how to do?

nihad said:
excuse me, BCS theory developed in Thermo field dynamics (TFD), I merely as a source the article "Derivation and application of the boson method in superconductivity" L.Leplae and all, but the method is developed for the conventional superconductivity. I want apply this method to high temperature superconductivity but I don't Know how to do?

I still don't get the "Thermo field dynamics".

The validity of BCS in high Tc superconductor is still unknown. That is still part of the research-front work in this field. In fact, there are many indications that BCS may not be applicable for these compounds (re: Anderson's RVB theory).

So you're asking for something that does exist yet.

BTW, when you cite something, please give the full citation, i.e. author, journal name, volume, page number, and year of publication. Those are usually the minimum set of information required when doing a citation.

Zz.

Last edited:
nihad said:
to give you an idea about "Thermo field dynamics":
http://aps.arxiv.org/PS_cache/quant-ph/pdf/0308/0308053v1.pdf

You forgot to make the link to BCS theory. Why would this be relevant here?

Remember that BCS bosons are not identical to BEC bosons. That's why the fermionic condensates that was discovered a year ago made such a major news, because now we have evidence that the connection between BCS and BEC is possibly not an abrupt phase transition, but rather a smooth crossover. But this connection is still being worked on and there are no definite answers yet.

So how you are making this "thermo field" of bosons to connect to BCS theory is puzzling, at least to me.

Zz.

You can find the application of the thermo field dynamics to BCS theory “the boson method” in the works of L.Leplae, F. Mancini and Umezawa.
This method is completely different to BEC method.

nihad said:
You can find the application of the thermo field dynamics to BCS theory “the boson method” in the works of L.Leplae, F. Mancini and Umezawa.
This method is completely different to BEC method.

<scratching head>

Then why did you give a reference to the previous paper on BEC when it isn't relevant to BCS?

Could you also give a more complete citation than that? Include journal name, volume number, page number, and year as well.

Zz.

Last edited:

What is BCS theory in thermo field dynamics?

BCS theory in thermo field dynamics is a theoretical framework used to study superconductivity at finite temperatures. It combines the concepts of BCS theory, which explains superconductivity at absolute zero temperature, with thermo field dynamics, which is a mathematical tool used to describe quantum systems at finite temperatures.

How does BCS theory in thermo field dynamics explain superconductivity?

BCS theory in thermo field dynamics explains superconductivity as a result of electrons forming Cooper pairs, which are pairs of electrons with opposite spin and momentum. These Cooper pairs then condense into a macroscopic quantum state, leading to the loss of electrical resistance and other unique properties of superconductors.

What is the significance of studying BCS theory in thermo field dynamics?

Studying BCS theory in thermo field dynamics allows scientists to understand the behavior of superconductors at temperatures above absolute zero, where most real-world applications of superconductors occur. It also helps to explain the underlying mechanisms of superconductivity and can lead to the discovery of new materials with enhanced superconducting properties.

What are some challenges in applying BCS theory in thermo field dynamics?

One challenge in applying BCS theory in thermo field dynamics is that it involves complex mathematical calculations, making it difficult to obtain exact solutions for certain systems. Another challenge is that the theory does not account for all types of superconductors, such as high-temperature superconductors, which require more advanced theories for explanation.

How has BCS theory in thermo field dynamics evolved over time?

BCS theory in thermo field dynamics has evolved over time through advancements in quantum field theory and the development of new techniques, such as mean-field theories and renormalization group methods. These advancements have allowed for a deeper understanding of superconductivity and have led to new insights and predictions about the behavior of superconductors.