Bead sliding on a wire - calculus of variations

In summary: Ok, then either he did not realize that the answer was trivial or it is a trick question to test whether the students think before trying to do something complicated. In either case, you are right that the answer is that the shape does not matter.
Ananthan9470
I am asked to find the shape of a wire that will maximize the speed a sliding bead when it reaches the end point(Similar to the brachistochrone problem expect that the speed is to be maximized and not time minimized).

But shouldn't the speed at the end be independent of the shape of the wire? The potential energy of the bead at the start is ##U = mgh## and the final kinetic energy is ##\frac{1}{2} m v^2##

equating these you get, ##v = \sqrt{2gh}##. and that simply depends on ##h## and nothing else.

Is this wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ananthan9470 said:
I am asked to find the shape of a wire that will maximize the speed a sliding bead when it reaches the end point(Similar to the brachistochrone problem expect that the speed is to be maximized and not time minimized).

But shouldn't the speed at the end be independent of the shape of the wire? The potential energy of the bead at the start is ##U = mgh## and the final kinetic energy is ##\frac{1}{2} m v^2##

equating these you get, ##v = \sqrt{2gh}##. and that simply depends on ##h## and nothing else.

Is this wrong?
Sounds right. Have you stated the problem completely and exactly as given?

TSny said:
Sounds right. Have you stated the problem completely and exactly as given?
This is the problem statement. Am I interpreting this right?

A bead slides fritionlessly on a wire, starting at rest from the origin (0,0) to some point (X,-Y) where X and Y are positive constants.
(Here the +y direction is vertically upward) Aerodynamic drag is negligible. Find the shape of the wire between the two
points which maximizes the speed of the bead when it reaches the fixed end point (X,-Y).
Assume the length of the wire between the initial and final points is some fixed value L, greater than the distance between the points.

I think you're right. As long as Y is fixed, all shapes lead to the same final speed.

Last edited:
Likes Ananthan9470
Ananthan9470 said:

Is this wrong?
Is this a problem from a textbook or from your teacher? I wonder if the teacher simply did not realize that the question was actually trivial (I know that I myself have been guilty of sometimes not thinking through a question completely before asking it to students)

nrqed said:
Is this a problem from a textbook or from your teacher? I wonder if the teacher simply did not realize that the question was actually trivial (I know that I myself have been guilty of sometimes not thinking through a question completely before asking it to students)

It is from a professor and maybe he made a mistake...

Ananthan9470 said:
It is from a professor and maybe he made a mistake...
Ok, then either he did not realize that the answer was trivial or it is a trick question to test whether the students think before trying to do something complicated. In either case, you are right that the answer is that the shape does not matter.

Last edited:
The only complication I see is that you have to require y<0 everywhere (except at the start), otherwise the bead can't make it to the end of the wire because it'll come to rest and possibly turn around.

1. What is the calculus of variations?

The calculus of variations is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal path or function that minimizes or maximizes a given quantity, such as energy or cost. It involves using calculus and differential equations to solve problems in optimization and physics.

2. How does the calculus of variations relate to a bead sliding on a wire?

In the case of a bead sliding on a wire, the calculus of variations can be used to find the path that minimizes the time it takes for the bead to travel from one point to another on the wire. This can be done by considering the kinetic and potential energies of the bead and using the Euler-Lagrange equation to find the optimal path.

3. What is the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a fundamental equation in the calculus of variations that is used to find the optimal path or function. It takes into account the function to be optimized, its derivatives, and any constraints or boundary conditions, and sets them equal to zero to find the optimal solution.

4. Can the calculus of variations be applied to other physical systems?

Yes, the calculus of variations can be applied to many physical systems, such as the motion of a pendulum, the trajectory of a projectile, or the shape of a soap film. It is a versatile tool that allows for the optimization of various quantities in different systems.

5. What are some real-world applications of the calculus of variations?

The calculus of variations has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It is used to optimize processes and systems, such as finding the most efficient route for transportation, determining the shape of a bridge, or modeling the growth of a population.