Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beam depth or column size factor in loading

1. Jun 20, 2012 #1
    I just want to know the relationship between beam depth and column size. I know there is a relationship. But in uniform loading, do they increase beam depth or column size? or rather.. would increasing beam depth and keeping column constant be able to handle more load? or should the beam depth be constant and the column size increased to handle more load given the storey or building height is constant?

I'm not building anything. Just want an idea. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2012 #2
    It really depends on how much dead load needs to be supported, and what/how live loads would affect the structure. For example, if you were testing concrete columns with a fixed width/cross-section, taller columns will likely buckle, and shorter columns will likely develop spalding under too much load. Also, it depends on the self-weight of the beams being used. If you need longer spans with fewer columns, you might think about castellating the beams, but that has its advantages and drawbacks with changes in moment and shear capacities respectively.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook