Bearing race diameter inequality question

In summary, bearings with more balls (loose) have greater friction because there is more contact between the balls.
MrMoe
TL;DR Summary
Why is my old Schwinn so slow?
Hello all this is my first post. I am not an engineer, but I wish I was. I have been enjoying watching Dan Gelbart!s YouTube Chanel. His air bearing has me wondering about the relationship and apparent conflict inside ball bearings. How does the ball travel around the shorter distance (circumference) of the inner race and the longer distance of the outer races circumference? Is there slippage and friction where the balls contact the races?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The conflict is only 'apparent' - as you accurately state. The balls (ideally) roll without slip on both races - they complete a 'circuit' of the inner race before they complete a circuit of the outer race. As all balls are doing the same thing, that works.

Likes MrMoe and Lnewqban
Welcome, MrMoe! :cool:
For simple bearings that do not have a cage that keeps balls apart, there is slippage and friction among them.

Likes MrMoe
Very helpful. I think I am starting to get the picture. One trip around the outer race = more than one trip around the inner race. Is this the same concept used to create ratios in planetary gears?

Lnewqban said:
Welcome, MrMoe! :cool:
For simple bearings that do not have a cage that keeps balls apart, there is slippage and friction among them.

Apology` for not noticing the introduction protocol.

I was detected by a bicycle mechanic years ago to remove the caged ball bearings (usually 5 balls) and replace them with 9 loose balls for an upgrade. Could this actually increase friction?

MrMoe said:
Apology` for not noticing the introduction protocol.

I was detected by a bicycle mechanic years ago to remove the caged ball bearings (usually 5 balls) and replace them with 9 loose balls for an upgrade. Could this actually increase friction?
No idea, but good lubrication always help.
The balls-cage friction may be slightly greater than the ball-ball friction in that case, if that is true.

Likes MrMoe

1. What is a bearing race diameter inequality?

A bearing race diameter inequality refers to the difference in size between the inner and outer diameter of a bearing race. This can occur due to various factors such as manufacturing defects, wear and tear, or improper installation.

2. How does bearing race diameter inequality affect performance?

Bearing race diameter inequality can cause uneven distribution of load, leading to increased friction and wear on the bearings. This can result in reduced performance, increased noise, and ultimately, premature failure of the bearing.

3. How can bearing race diameter inequality be measured?

Bearing race diameter inequality can be measured using specialized equipment such as a micrometer or a dial indicator. These tools allow for precise measurement of the inner and outer diameter of the bearing race, and any differences between the two can indicate inequality.

4. Can bearing race diameter inequality be corrected?

In some cases, bearing race diameter inequality can be corrected by re-machining the bearing race or using shims to adjust the size. However, it is important to note that this should only be done by a trained professional, as improper correction can cause further damage to the bearing.

5. How can bearing race diameter inequality be prevented?

Proper installation and maintenance of bearings can help prevent bearing race diameter inequality. This includes ensuring the bearing is properly aligned and lubricated, and regularly checking for signs of wear or damage. It is also important to use high-quality bearings from reputable manufacturers to minimize the risk of manufacturing defects.