Bearing requirements calculation

In summary, the speaker is working on a design project and needs to calculate the bearing requirements for a shaft with small loads and high accuracy as the key requirement. They wonder if they can assume that all the loads apply to the bearing and if the bearing needs to be able to handle all the loads and maintain accuracy. They provide an example of a 10N radial load and 0.01mm accuracy, suggesting that the bearing stiffness should be 1000N/mm. They also recommend looking at a SKF website for more information and suggest including a system diagram for better understanding.
jianan
TL;DR Summary
I am looking for bearings. I have all the loads on the shaft, so how do I calculate the stiffness and other bearing requirements?
Hi!
I am working on a design project. I already know all the loads (moment, force and gravity) on the shaft. I want to calculate the bearing requirements to help me choose the right bearing. All loads are very small, and the key requirement of the entire system is high accuracy.
Can I assume that all the loadings apply to bearing, then bearing need to be able to handle all the loadings and also maintain accuracy?
For example, if the total radial loading on the shaft is 10N and need accuracy of 0.01 mm for system. Can I say that the requirement of bearing stiffness is 10N/0.01mm = 1000N/mm?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A system diagram would make your questions much more meaningful.

1. What is a bearing requirements calculation?

A bearing requirements calculation is a process used to determine the necessary specifications for a bearing in a given application. This includes factors such as load capacity, speed, and lubrication requirements.

2. Why is a bearing requirements calculation important?

A bearing requirements calculation is important because it ensures that the bearing being used is suitable for the specific application. This can prevent premature failure of the bearing and improve overall equipment performance and longevity.

3. What factors are considered in a bearing requirements calculation?

Factors considered in a bearing requirements calculation include the type and magnitude of the load, the speed of rotation, the operating temperature, the type of lubrication, and the expected service life.

4. How is a bearing requirements calculation performed?

A bearing requirements calculation is typically performed using mathematical equations and formulas that take into account the various factors mentioned above. These calculations can be done manually or with the help of computer software.

5. Can a bearing requirements calculation be done for any type of bearing?

Yes, a bearing requirements calculation can be done for any type of bearing, including ball bearings, roller bearings, and plain bearings. However, the specific equations and factors used may differ depending on the type of bearing being considered.