Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bearing steel that can absorb shocks

1. Jul 20, 2009 #1
    does anybody know of bearing steel that can absorb shocks , and could you help me with its composition and its physical properties like tensile strength, specific gravity, malleability , etc

regds

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2009 #2

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

you talkin about the steel used in bearings?

4. Jul 20, 2009 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Usually the best thing for dampening is cast iron. Please provide more information.

5. Jul 20, 2009 #4

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

10 four on that Fred

6. Jul 21, 2009 #5
    yes i am talking abt steel used in bearings .

application is steel rolling mill , due to man error , bearings clash , bearings break ,,,,......jerk free bearings are dirt expensive ..... so i wanted to ask all smarties ,in physics forum , to help me in (my thoughts processes)----some answer...

7. Jul 21, 2009 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Where are the bearings failing? The inner race? Outer race? Cage?

Unfortunately, good quality bearings are usually expensive. They are just like any other cost though. You balance the cost of the bearings vs. down time and lost machine time for maintenance.

8. Jul 22, 2009 #7
    the inner ring is stationery, outer ring is in movement . or else are you aware of any other accessories that can be added to bearings to reduce shock (cheaper fashion)
    regds

9. Jul 22, 2009 #8

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Yes. That is how most bearings work however, that wasn't my question. I asked what exactly is failing with the bearings? What are you classifying as a failure? Bearings, by nature, are not meant as vibration dampeners. What is the "man error" you mentioned? Please be as specific as you can.

10. Jul 23, 2009 #9
    I like to go straight to the source. The manufacturers are generally very helpful in these situations.

http://www.skf.com/".

http://www.nsk.com/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook