1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beat FrequencyWhat is the new tension in the string that slipped?

1. Jan 20, 2010 #1
    Two identical strings are sounding the same fundamental tone of frequency 156 Hz. Each string is under 228 N of tension. The peg holding one string suddenly slips, reducing its tension slightly, and the two tones now create a beat frequency of three beats per second. What is the new tension in the string that slipped?

My attempt so far:

fbeat = f1 - f2 = 3Hz

f1 = 156Hz

3Hz - 156Hz = -f2

f2 = 153Hz

So how do I find the tension for this frequency? Usually there is more information given such as the linear density or speed of the wave. I dont see how I can find the tension without those variables. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

For identical strings frequency f = k*(T)^1.2, where k is constant and T is the tension in the string. So
    f1/f2 = (T1/T2)^1/2.
    You have already found f1 and f2. T1 is given. Find T2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook