Beauty of old electrical and measuring things, etc.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
706 replies · 138K views
When you get old, you get forgetful, so I don't remember if I've posted this old Model 83 Fluke Meter:
model 83 Fluke.jpg
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Who you calling old? I have a couple of those in our lab... :smile:
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Averagesupernova, DaveE and dlgoff
BTW, have you ever tried to replace the fuse for the uA/mA current measurement input? What a weird size fuse!
 
berkeman said:
BTW, have you ever tried to replace the fuse for the uA/mA current measurement input? What a weird size fuse!
It was a long time ago, but I do recall. I'm not wanting to open it up, but didn't it have a very small diameter glass fuse? Do you remember when those meters were introduced?

I'd never call you old as I'm the old one here.
 
IIRC, the fuse was physically bigger than the standard sizes that we carried in labstock. I think I even checked the local electronics stores, with no joy. I have at least a couple of those meters with blown mA circuit fuses and notes on them to let the operators know.
 
berkeman said:
IIRC, the fuse was bigger than the standard sizes that we carried in labstock.
Now you've got me curious. I will have to open it a check it out. From some google searching, it looks like it came out in the 1980's.
 
berkeman said:
IIRC, the fuse was physically bigger than the standard sizes
Yes. You're right. They're really large:
fuses.jpg
 
dlgoff said:
Yes. You're right. They're really large:
View attachment 304279
We used a bunch of those fuses (KTK, KLK) in our Ion Lasers. They're rated to interrupt HV DC and/or high interrupting capacity, hence big and expensive. Full of glass/sand around the filament.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: berkeman and dlgoff
dlgoff said:
I'd like to see one of those. :)
Eye safety precludes that.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too, berkeman and dlgoff
This might qualify for the thread, wife picked it up at a yard sale along with a nice arrowhead collection for $5.00. The plastic battery case is cracked but it works great, ordered replacement cases from ebay, just waiting on them to arrive before using it. It's a model 63TR, circa 1974.
IMG-1201.jpg

IMG-1207.jpg
IMG-1226.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, berkeman, dlgoff and 1 other person
Oldman too said:
This might qualify for the thread, wife picked it up at a yard sale along with a nice arrowhead collection for $5.00. The plastic battery case is cracked but it works great, ordered replacement cases from ebay, just waiting on them to arrive before using it. It's a model 63TR, circa 1974.
View attachment 304497
View attachment 304498View attachment 304499
My parents did a lot of hunting for old coins with White's metal detectors.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too and jedishrfu
dlgoff said:
My parents did a lot of hunting for old coins with White's metal detectors.
That's one of my wife's obsessions, along with gold, fossils, rock hunting etc. While searching for battery parts, I was dismayed to learn that Whites recently went out of business, then I found out Garret had taken over the Whites label. I still had to go to ebay to find the parts though.
 
Cleaning up a bit at my mother's house, I found some old electronic parts my father saved. He was an EE (too) from 1950's - 1970's. This one caught my eye. GE 2N107, packaged in it's own tube with a datasheet printed on vellum.

20221018_151242.jpg


So, knowing I had no desire to actually use it, I cut it open to see the guts.

20221024_165743_HDR.jpg

20221024_170124.jpg

20221024_170612.jpg


That transistor die is about 3mm x 3mm. If you wanted to make a modern uP with about 20 billion transistors, it would cover about 1/2 mile2.

It is beautiful to me, in it's appropriate context. Back when a single transistor was high tech.
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: Klystron, berkeman, DennisN and 3 others
The 2N107/2N170 pair were the hobbyist transistors of the late 50's and early 60's. In the 70's I worked for a company that was still using the 2N1370 series germanium transistors. Some of the old circuits with germanium won't work with silicon.
 
And as The Antique Roadshow appraiser would say:
Wow, now if only that was an intact transistor, it would be worth $XXX,XXX dollars at auction and maybe even as high as $X,XXX,XXX but sadly now its worth $X-$XX
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: DaveE and berkeman
Yeah, it was sad to see that an antique complete with papers, was dissected.
 
Yeah, it seems only Robots and the @Borg can appreciate the sadness of having one of our single celled ancestors dissected in the name of curiosity.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: DaveE, DennisN, OmCheeto and 1 other person
Here are a couple of old beauties. Too bad they don't work:
IMG_3818.JPG
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, anorlunda, Borg and 2 others
@dlgoff :
"r/hr"... I had to google for it. "Roentgen/hour" I suppose?
And if so, I guess they are some sort of radiation detectors/radiation measuring devices?
 
jedishrfu said:
Are the batteries dead, or is there something about the detectors reaching the end of life?
I put in a new battery and the one on the left one looks okay doing a "circuit check". So must have been a dead battery. The one on the right still doesn't work with a new battery. :(
 
jedishrfu said:
Are the batteries dead, or is there something about the detectors reaching the end of life?
This old Ludlum (counts/minute) works good though:
Ludlum.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron, DennisN and collinsmark
dlgoff said:
Here are a couple of old beauties. Too bad they don't work:
Since they are "identical" they should be a breeze to troubleshoot, especially if you have an oscilloscope available.

If that's not your thing, post schematics, photos, and whatever voltage readings you can get. I suspect the combined grey-matter mass here would solve the problem shortly.
 
Tom.G said:
Since they are "identical" they should be a breeze to troubleshoot, especially if you have an oscilloscope available.

If that's not your thing, post schematics, photos, and whatever voltage readings you can get. I suspect the combined grey-matter mass here would solve the problem shortly.
I have an old Heathkit scope. If you look back through this thread, you'll see that I've restored many old beauties. But in this case, I just don't want to take the time and effort to restore that old counter. Thanks for the offer though.
 
dlgoff said:
I just don't want to take the time and effort to restore that old counter.
Yup. My experience repairing old test equipment goes like this:
You can either diagnose and fix it quickly, like 1 hour, or it's nearly impossible and will take much more time than it's worth.

I also like the "buy two broken ones, make one that works and throw out the rest" approach*. Swapping parts/modules often doesn't require a lot of knowledge or effort.

The sad, painful, truth is that if you just want to make a measurement, you can probably buy a new version from China on eBay for less effort, time, and money than repairing the old stuff. But then part of your DIY EE soul will die with each purchase.

* Full disclosure: I'm actually not that good at the "throwing out the junk" part of this.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DrClaude, Bystander, collinsmark and 2 others