Beauty of old electrical and measuring things, etc.
- Thread starter dlgoff
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Beauty Electrical Measuring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
706 replies · 138K views
Engineering news on Phys.org
- 11,327
- 8,758
My aunt and uncle collected stuff from auctions. When their house got full of stuff, they bought the house next door. When that house filled, they bought the house next to that. 
BTW, I love that quote from Jim Hardy. He was the Mark Twain of his age.

BTW, I love that quote from Jim Hardy. He was the Mark Twain of his age.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
I had to raise it up a little. Too much weight on the clock:dlgoff said:I'm now out of space on this wall. Here is my last meter; Bendix microwave frequency meter:
View attachment 289450
He was indeed. I remember asking him if it were okay to use this quote and his name.anorlunda said:BTW, I love that quote from Jim Hardy. He was the Mark Twain of his age.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
@anorlunda
I Thought about posting this on this thread, as it was given to me by Jim: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/member-jim-hardy-has-died.974435/,
but I'll post it here instead:
I Thought about posting this on this thread, as it was given to me by Jim: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/member-jim-hardy-has-died.974435/,
but I'll post it here instead:
Last edited:
Admin
- 69,783
- 25,630
I started to give you a warning for a political post, but then realized that it seems to apply to both political parties. So nevermind...dlgoff said:I Thought about posting this on this thread, as it was given to me by Jim: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/member-jim-hardy-has-died.974435/,
but I'll post it here instead:
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Here's a beauty that fits the title of this thread. I mounted on my meter and gauge wall:
It's a MODEL 3 Survey Meter made by Ludlum Measurements Inc.
The meters unit of measurement is Counts/Minute.
It's a MODEL 3 Survey Meter made by Ludlum Measurements Inc.
The meters unit of measurement is Counts/Minute.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
My mentor Andy Anderson, W0AFQ, bought me an EICO Model 565 multi-meter kit so I could learn to solder. After putting it together, it didn't work, so Andy opened it and soldered all the cold joints. I did learn how to solder correctly; thanks Andy. The needle was broken into several pieces, so I tried to "glue" it back together. Here's a photo of it on my meter wall:
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
I don't know if I've posted this old beautiful boat navigation light before, but @jim hardy knew exactly what it was when he saw it as he loved boats. e.g.
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/bogityshoop_zps7b23f4c3-jpg.168946/
It uses either an incandescent bulb or a kerosene lamp to light it:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/bogityshoop_zps7b23f4c3-jpg.168946/
It uses either an incandescent bulb or a kerosene lamp to light it:
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Okay, finally something electrical that I know I haven't shown here before. I bought these little robots from Radio Shack back before they filed chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2015:
Mentor
- 15,819
- 10,709
They can, its a pretext to world conquest.
DennisN
Gold Member
- 2,197
- 10,329
Maybe they were charged too much?berkeman said:I didn't know robots could file for bankruptcy!![]()
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Here's a beauty that's only electrical in that it was related to Television. I was helping this lady clean out a storage unit at an apartment complex. She wanted me to put all the stuff in a dumpster. But I just couldn't throw this away. It's a television press pass for the Evander Holyfield vs. Lennox Lewis II boxing match on November 13, 1999:
There's a Turkey sticker on it making it kind of appropriate for this time of the year.
There's a Turkey sticker on it making it kind of appropriate for this time of the year.
NTL2009
- 637
- 393
Boy, that brings back some memories. I only had a small reel-to-reel (3 1/2" reels?) - this would be late 60's early 70's. But I recall getting hold of some of those old 7" reels, I think some were archived local radio shows, and putting them on my smaller reels.dlgoff said:Here's something you don't see much these days:
View attachment 294048
View attachment 294049
I wish I had a machine to use it with.
Mentor
- 15,819
- 10,709
My friend converted all his albums and others he could find to reel to reel tape so he could get free of the record player.
Mentor
- 15,819
- 10,709
Here’s a place that can get those files for you if they are retrievable
https://dvdyourmemories.com/blog/transfer-your-old-zip-disks-and-floppy-disks-to-your-computer/
says $10 a Zip disk.
https://dvdyourmemories.com/blog/transfer-your-old-zip-disks-and-floppy-disks-to-your-computer/
says $10 a Zip disk.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
I have the device to read those. I'd have to look around in my junk boxes to find it though. If I do find it, I'll let you know. I don't really need it anymore.Borg said:I have one of these that I backed up data on but I don't have the device to read it.
View attachment 294067
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,408
- 5,259
No problem. I'm sure there isn't anything important on it. It's just funny how data storage has changed in the last 20 years.dlgoff said:I have the device to read those. I'd have to look around in my junk boxes to find it though. If I do find it, I'll let you know. I don't really need it anymore.
Mentor
- 15,819
- 10,709
Don’t be that guy that tossed a hard drive in the garbage only to discover later that it held a portion of his bitcoin stash worth $250 million. He tried to get his city to dig up the dump to find it and would share a portion of his stash with them. They said no.
https://news.bitcoin.com/man-accidentally-threw-away-7500-bitcoins-hard-drive-new-plan-retrieve-btc/
https://news.bitcoin.com/man-accidentally-threw-away-7500-bitcoins-hard-drive-new-plan-retrieve-btc/
