Before you die, what do you want to see become a reality

• Thread starter MathJakob
  • Start date
Without being ridiculous and try to keep it within the boundaries of what could be possible, what would you like to see become a reality more than anything else?

Some examples:

Discovery of life elsewhere.
Servant robots.
Digitisation of the brain.
A cure for cancer.
Conclusive proof other dimensions exist.
How the big bang happend.
Discovery of another universe
World Peace.

ect

Live a long life, raise a family, and spend my life doing the things I love.

turbo

Gold Member
I'll give in to the beauty queens and say "world peace". There will always be disagreements and conflict, but it would be great to see killings stopped, especially the killings of innocents.

World Peace, but since this is impossible to happen anyway I would choose discovery of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe. As intelligent as humans at least. Within this context, I would like to see a human-alien collaboration.

Discovering life on another planet would be the biggest discovery since Newton discovered gravity.
I would choose that.
Even if it was just some coherent radio signals from elsewhere in the universe of alien music or maybe even their voices, I would die happy.

A sustainable Earth.
A discovery of some kind of extraterrestrial life.
A quantum theory of gravity.

Oh, these are modest wishes :smile:.

Evo

Mentor
Based on your examples of what you think is possible within a current lifetime...I want my replicator. Tea! Earl Grey. Hot!

Based on your examples of what you think is possible within a current lifetime...I want my replicator. Tea! Earl Grey. Hot!
I'd really like to see quantum computing become a reality, along with the discovery of intelligent life or the gradual colonisation of Mars. I know there are so many variables where the colonisation of Mars is concerned but with the rapid development of technology, I'd like to think it is doable.

lol

immortality.

Assuming they don't cost much to build, or in terms of energy to operate, these would be my choice, too.

reenmachine

Gold Member
Better mental health care system.
Discovery of alien life , intelligent or not.
More opportunities to make a living for pure mathematicians and theoretical physicists.
Less importance given to money and possessions.
Better education system.
More general respect for the elders from the younger generations.

Last edited:

OmCheeto

Gold Member
More general respect for the elders from the younger generations.
More general respect from the elders for the seventh generation........

reenmachine

Gold Member
More general respect from the elders for the seventh generation........
I don't know what the seventh generation is.

I guess I should also have said that I wish for better overall parenting in the world , but all of these ideas are wishful thinking at it's finest.

D H

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
I vote for ect.

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'd like all humans to have self-determination, and to respect others' right to self-determination as well.

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor
Scentless scented car air fresheners.

Itd be nice to be happy

D H

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Assuming they don't cost much to build, or in terms of energy to operate, these would be my choice, too.
You could make one with a box of earl grey, a robot arm (like on Back to the future), a supply of hot water, a microphone and a raspberry-pi trained to detect the word Tea from Evo. The arm slides a cup into place drops an earl grey teabag into it and then activates the hot water controls and bingo hot earl grey tea.

Future models can include other teas, condiments and some fancier programming.

Or you can franchise a StarBucks and let the barristas do it.

Space colonization! The ability to get on some sort of spaceship and go to Jupiter in a few days...

strangerep

Science Advisor
What would I like? An end to all superstitions and hernias!

Oh wait, Ghost-in-the-Shell technology might accomplish both, so I'll vote for that. :biggrin:

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member
I would like to see a theory of high Tc superconductors be able to predict the Tc of superconductors from first principles.

I would like to see room temperature superconductors discovered, made cost effective, and broadly implemented in our infrastructure.

Id like to see political cooperation and increased societal valuation of knowledge and learning.

Id like to see advances in spintronics further revolutionize information technology.

Id like to see broad expansions of fundamental research in industry and at national labs.

chemisttree

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Definitely the cure for cancer... all of them.

Magic in general.

The discovery of extraterrestrial life, no matter how primitive or intelligent
Artificial intelligence on a human scale or more advanced
Total synthesis of life, artificial or natural
A unification of General Relativity and quantum mechanics, or a "Theory of Everything"
Large-scale access to space
Significant advances in medicine, but those are hard to break down to single events

Discovering life on another planet would be the biggest discovery since Newton discovered gravity.
Newton "just" found formulas for it and generalized it for other objects in space, the concept of "falling down" was known (discovered?) long before him.

immortality.
Does that count as "before you die"? :D