Before you die, what do you want to see become a reality

• Thread starter MathJakob
  • Start date

handyman2

I wanna see cure for all kinds of incurable disease not only cancer.

I' d really like to be alive the day humankind will realize a journey to another star, but I believe it's unlikely to happen*. I sometimes ask myself if I would be prepare to leave earth myself, if I were asked to do so. I don't know what my answer would be, but I like to think it'd be "Hell, yeah!" :smile:

*and, damn it, maybe for only a few hundreds of years :frown:

Last edited:
What Jean Luc Pickard said to the 20th century stock broker that found himself in the 24th century.

I wanna see cure for all kinds of incurable disease not only cancer.
Me too. Also I would be happy to see all mentally/physically disadvantaged people cured.
- Nuclear fusion or anything else coming to cover our energy needs.
- Everybody having access to clean water, enough food and medication.
- No government/corporations trying to control its people. Internet still free.

The technological singularity. Human consciousness will be transferred to machines, so technically you will be able to live forever :)

Some great posts I enjoy reading them, keep them coming :D

I think witnessing the announcement of aliens on national TV or seeing them with my own eyes would make me cry with happiness. I don't think there is anything else I want to be more true than that. As for after long term I'd like to see more money being put into the sciences instead of wars.

Some great posts I enjoy reading them, keep them coming :D

I think witnessing the announcement of aliens on national TV or seeing them with my own eyes would make me cry with happiness. I don't think there is anything else I want to be more true than that. As for after long term I'd like to see more money being put into the sciences instead of wars.
I always liked the Twilight Zone story of the benevolent aliens coming to Earth promising so much and presenting the President (I think) with a book entitled: To Serve Mankind written in alien language

Everyone wanted to visit their planet and as people were boarding the ship, a philologist studying the alien language realizes the true meaning of the book...

I always liked the Twilight Zone story of the benevolent aliens coming to Earth promising so much and presenting the President (I think) with a book entitled: To Serve Mankind written in alien language

Everyone wanted to visit their planet and as people were boarding the ship, a philologist studying the alien language realizes the true meaning of the book...
The thing about humans is we're so arrogant that even if super advanced beings came to Earth we'd probably attack them. That's why so many people think that if aliens come to Earth they will be agressive, because that is how we would act.

So because we act that way, we assume other intelligent life would act the same, who knows there are probably life forms out there that just want to conquer and enslave but I believe there are other beings that want peace.

prakis

Biological explanation of Consciousness (Subjective experience).

And maybe Fermat's Last Theorem (using only Number Theory, without modern mathematics)

cheap, renewable, easy access energy. ...oh how that would throw economics for a loop.

Climate change that favors Canada.

A common understanding on the difference between hungry and starving.

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Sensible answer

A workable theory of economic democracy that is both green and steady state along with a corresponding improvement in political democracy. Bonus points for both being able to institute a leisure economy through increased automation/mechanisation and reform of welfare to include a guarenteed minimum income system.

Oh and this applies globally.

Luxury answer

- A cheap, global system of personalised rapid transport (I'd prefer teleporters but they're not possible)
- Five star fully automated house ("Kitchen make me dinner and bring me wine whilst the bathroom preps the hot tub!")
- Life extension (bonus points for healthy life extension. Being 150 and feeling 90 doesn't seem much of an improvement)

Last edited:

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
What Jean Luc Pickard said to the 20th century stock broker that found himself in the 24th century.
That's pretty much what I was going for with my sensible answer above :tongue: after some searching I found the clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzqW0YaN2ho&t=0m56s

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd prefer teleporters but they're not possible
Not possible as in it would violate the laws of physics, or that we just don't have the energy or technology to do it?

Not possible as in it would violate the laws of physics, or that we just don't have the energy or technology to do it?
Gotta define what is meant by "teleport". I can email a design at near the speed of light.

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Impossible in the sense that there isn't a conceivable way to move an object from A to B without being in any intervening space.

Gotta define what is meant by "teleport". I can email a design at near the speed of light.
When I say teleport I mean the science fiction idea of objects disappearing from one location in space and reappearing at another (with differences in momentum compensated for).

I hope everything goes smoothly in 2018 with the JWST launch. It's going to be 1 million miles from Earth, unlike Hubble which is only 370 miles away and can be physically repaired and upgraded.

I'm young so, I'd like to not have to worry about dying. that'd be nice. Or at least cybernetic people or something.

- Experimental evidence to support the multiverse theory. If not a testable scientific explanation on what came before the big bang.
- The discovery of extraterrestrial life forms.
- A society driven more towards secularism, rather than religious dogmatism.
-A more scientifically literate society.
- Great technological innovation and vast improvements medicine.
-Unraveling the mystery of 'consciousness'.

Unicorns.

jim hardy

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Dearly Missed

Ahhh yes, "Serving Man" was the title of that episode I think.

My particular favorite is "Next stop Willoughby" : a hard driven ad-man escapes to a place where there isn't any '.. haste to succeed in such desperate enterprises....'

I'd like to see society come to value that kind of life.

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi836544281/?ref_=tt_ov_vi

The technological singularity. Human consciousness will be transferred to machines, so technically you will be able to live forever :)
This is pretty much it. I do not believe it's going to happen though.

I do not care at all about the technological, political and economical situation of humanity after I am dead. I just hope that I do not see WW3 in my lifetime.

That's pretty much what I was going for with my sensible answer above :tongue: after some searching I found the clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzqW0YaN2ho&t=0m56s
The Star Trek shows that advanced civilizations move beyond the silly greediness of current culture. Jean Luc scolds the man form the 20th century for wanting material things. He goes on to tell the primitive man for the 20th century that theye solved poverty and "want" (the accumulation of material things).

I another episode in Voyager Lt Paris talks about how Earth currency had been abolished in the 22th century. I tried to explore this topic in the General Forum.

Last edited:
Singularity and warp drive. :)

Singularity and warp drive. :)
Singularity huh? I guess a super-intelligent entity would be kinda cool; that is until it goes all Terminator on us...

Singularity huh? I guess a super-intelligent entity would be kinda cool; that is until it goes all Terminator on us...
It would be cool, but it would also be nice to live forever. Which is one of the reasons besides being a super intelligent robot I picked singularity.