Beginner problem, but still can not get it.

• Thread starter Bkr5006
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beginner
In summary, the distance from the nozzle of the shower to the third drop when the first drop strikes the floor is 0.93m. The time interval between each drop is 0.145s. The equations used were y=(1/2)at^2 and y=vt.
Bkr5006
Water drips from the nozzle of a shower onto the floor 165 cm below. The drops fall at regular (equal) intervals of time, the first drop striking the floor at the instant the fourth drop begins to fall.

a)Find the location of the third drop as measured from the nozzle of the shower when the first drop strikes the floor.
b)Find the location of the second drop as measured from the nozzle of the shower when the first drop strikes the floor.

Thank you for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hints: How does distance relate to time for a falling object? How long does it take for a drop to fall from nozzle to floor?

Using y=(1/2)at^2
-1.65= .5(-9.8)(t^2)
(-1.65/-4.9)=t^2
sqrt(.34)=t
0.58=time

I figured out the time it took for one droplet to go from the sprinkler head to the ground... then since there was 4 droplets and it said that they were released at equal intervals I divided that by 4 to get .145s separation between them. Next I used the y= (1/2)at^2 forumula again, but this time to find the third droplet I used (.58*.75) to get .435 as my time. Then when I calculated this out I got a distance of .93m, however when I put that as my answer it said it was incorrect. So I'm kinda lost.

Is there a figure that goes with this question? It's ambiguous to me what it is calling the 3rd drop. The rest of the question talks about the 1st drop hitting the floor and the 4th drop just leaving, so I would try calculating the answer for the 3rd drop in order (the one closest to the faucet when the 1st drop hits the floor. Does that answer work? It looks like you are using the correct equations.

Nope, there is no figure. The only thing I'm going by the different drops is that they each drop at the same interval, but by the time the 1st drop hits the ground(.58s) the 4th drop is just now leaving the showerhead. So I figured that if I broke that down into 4 equal parts it would work, but I guess it didn't.

Oh, I missed the 4. No, it's 3. The distance from spigot to floor has 3 sections, because only 2 drops are in the air spaced out as the 1st hits the floor.

So basically what you're saying is that...

drop 1(coming right out of the head) is at t=0
drop 2(1st drop in air) is at .58/3= t=.19s
drop 3(2nd drop in air) is at .19*2 t=.39s
drop 4(hitting the ground) is at t=.58s

I would have numbered them the other way (like the problem statement initially numbered them), but since the question turns around and says "from the faucet's perspective", your numbering is probably accurate. Do you get the correct answer now?

1. What is the most common beginner problem in science?

The most common beginner problem in science is understanding how to design and conduct experiments effectively. This includes identifying variables, controlling for confounding factors, and collecting and analyzing data.

2. How do I improve my problem-solving skills in science?

To improve your problem-solving skills in science, it is important to practice critical thinking and logical reasoning. Additionally, seeking guidance from experienced scientists and practicing with real-world problems can also help improve your skills.

3. What should I do if I am struggling with a particular concept in science?

If you are struggling with a particular concept in science, it is important to seek help from a teacher, mentor, or tutor. They can provide additional explanations and resources to help you better understand the concept.

4. How do I stay organized while conducting experiments?

To stay organized while conducting experiments, it is helpful to create a detailed plan or protocol before starting the experiment. Additionally, keeping a lab notebook and labeling all materials and data can help you stay organized and keep track of your progress.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid as a beginner scientist?

Some common mistakes to avoid as a beginner scientist include not properly controlling variables in experiments, not following safety protocols, and not thoroughly reviewing and analyzing data. It is important to carefully plan and execute experiments and to always prioritize safety and accuracy in your work.