Easy university force/motion problem

• Thread starter Optikspik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary: AS FUCKIn summary, a block with mass 2,0kg is dropped from 0,5 meters above an incline with an angle of 30 degrees. The friction is negligible. The block slides down the incline at a speed of 4,91 m/s^2. It hits the floor after traveling a distance of 1 meter.
Optikspik
1. A block with the mass m=2,0kg is dropped from 0,5 meters above an incline with an angle of 30 degrees. The incline stands on a table , as shown in the following picture. The table is 2 meters high. The friction is negligible.

Knd0c7m.png
a) Determine the acceleration of the block while sliding on the incline
b) Determine the v of the block when leaving the incline
c) How far from the table will it land
d) How long time does it take from the starting position until the block hits the floor.
e) Does the mass of the block play any role at all?

a) m_tot= 2kg
a=F/m

Since only the x composant of the weight (FG) will help the block accelerate
a=2*g*sin 0,3 / 2kg = g/2kg= 4,91 m/s^2
b) The first free fall gives v final from:

KkzysQg.png

Hwwever, then I am stuck on how to continue on b ), i need to find s of the incline, or v final of the incline. Or do i need to put v-final as 0 and solve from it hits the incline until the floor, instead of making one calculation for just the incline?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could the incline be 0.1 m long? Could the incline be 1000 m long? If so, then the problem statement is either incomplete or requires an equation rather than a value for the answer. (That is, the answer will be in terms of either the incline's length or height). Given the silly situation where you have to assume that the block magically hits the incline but neither bounces NOR gives up any energy to the table, I'd guess that the problem is what we call "ill-formed" - meaning the teacher screwed-up. What you could do, is use a ruler (or calipers, etc.) and assume the table is drawn exactly in proportion so that you could use the distance between the block's bottom and the top tip of the incline as being exactly 0.5 meters and all other distances are proportional (or use the 2.0 meter value...you could also compare the two 'coversion factors' you obtain to see how close they are to one another)

Is the diagram your own, based on the textual information? If so, I suspect the 0,5m is supposed to be the height above the table, not the height above the top of the incline, making the length of the incline 1m.
If the diagram is right then as ogg says you need more information. You would also have to assume the block does not bounce; you would then use momentum conservation parallel to the incline to find its initial speed on the slope.

QLOCsQb.png

I miss understood the problem, but is this information enough to solve it?

Optikspik said:
QLOCsQb.png

I miss understood the problem, but is this information enough to solve it?
Yes.

**** ME FPRGOT TRIGONOMETRY ITS EASY

What is a "Easy university force/motion problem"?

An easy university force/motion problem typically involves applying the principles of Newton's laws of motion to solve a problem related to the movement or interaction of objects. These types of problems are commonly found in introductory physics courses at the university level.

What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law relates the net force on an object to its acceleration, and the third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How do you approach solving an easy university force/motion problem?

The most important step in solving an easy university force/motion problem is to clearly identify the forces acting on the object and draw a free body diagram. Then, use Newton's laws of motion to set up and solve equations that describe the motion of the object. It is also important to pay attention to units and use appropriate formulas for each type of motion (e.g. constant velocity, constant acceleration).

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving an easy university force/motion problem?

One common mistake is forgetting to include all of the forces acting on the object, or incorrectly identifying the direction of a force. It is also important to use consistent units throughout the problem and to double-check calculations for accuracy. Another mistake to avoid is using the wrong formula for the type of motion being described in the problem.

Are there any tips for solving easy university force/motion problems more efficiently?

One helpful tip is to break the problem down into smaller parts and solve each part separately before combining them to find the final answer. It can also be useful to visualize the problem and think about the physical meaning of the equations being used. Additionally, practicing and familiarizing yourself with different types of force/motion problems can improve problem-solving skills and efficiency.