Kinematics in one dimention, where do two balls meet?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the intersection point of two displacement vs time curves for a ball being dropped from a window and another ball being tossed up from the ground. By setting the two equations equal to each other and solving for time, it is determined that the balls will intersect above the halfway point between the window and ground. This is concluded by the equation d = -h/4, which indicates that the intersection point is above the halfway line.
feihong47
1. You drop a ball from a window located on an upper floor of a building. It strikes the ground with speed v. You now repeat the drop, but your friend down on the ground throws another ball upward at the same speed v, releasing her ball at the same moment that you drop yours from the window. At some location, the balls pass each other. Is this location (a) at the halfway point between window and ground, (b) above this point, or (c) below this point?

Someone said the solution is b. Subjectively this may be find and dandy, but does any have proof of this using equations? I tried to find the time of each ball to reach halfway and then compare. Using the dropped ball as t1, i get t1 = SQRT(h/g), where h is the height of the building. Using t2 as the thrown ball, i have to solve t2 as a quadratic formula (1/2 h = vt-1/2gt2), in which case i have t2 in terms of v, g, and h. however I had no way to compare the two time intervals.

Physics news on Phys.org
you want to find the intersection of two displacement vs time curves
the first one is the ball dropping from the upper floor:
[tex]d = - \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

the other one is the ball being tossed up
[tex]d = vt - \frac{1}{2}gt^2 - h[/tex]
where h is the height between the floors

can you see how to solve it now?

i set the two equations equal to each other and i get h=vt. not sure how to use that, so i solve for t and plug it back in EQ 1 and i get d = -4.9h2/v2 ... doesn't really help yet

another thing is -- for ball being tossed up, i set up the equation as d=vt−1/2gt2 but without - h... how did you set yours up like that to make sense?

Last edited:
How are v and h related?

about the -h:

the expressions for d need to have the same origin, in the equations I have written, d=0 is the release point at the upper floor, therefore the equation for the ball being tossed up, d must be equal to -h at time t=0.

if you like you can define the d=0 at any other point, your answer won't change qualitatively

wukunlin said:
you want to find the intersection of two displacement vs time curves
the first one is the ball dropping from the upper floor:
[tex]d = - \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

the other one is the ball being tossed up
[tex]d = vt - \frac{1}{2}gt^2 - h[/tex]
where h is the height between the floors

can you see how to solve it now?

ok, for some reason I don't see it..

i understand the intersection of the two curves is the point where the two balls meet.

therefore I set the two equations equal to each other and get :

vt = h

I solved for t = h/v, and then substituting into EQ 1, and I get

[tex]d = - \frac{1}{2}g(\frac{h}{v})^2[/tex]

but how does that indicate where exactly the balls are?

what is v in terms of h?

wukunlin said:
what is v in terms of h?

thanks! got it now so d = -h/4, so that indicates it's above the halfway line (rather than the bottome 1/4) right?

feihong47 said:
thanks! got it now so d = -h/4, so that indicates it's above the halfway line (rather than the bottome 1/4) right?

precisely :)

1. What is kinematics in one dimension?

Kinematics in one dimension is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in a straight line without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How is velocity related to kinematics in one dimension?

Velocity is a key concept in kinematics in one dimension, as it describes the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is represented by the slope of the position-time graph.

3. What is the difference between distance and displacement in kinematics?

Distance is the total length an object has traveled, while displacement is the shortest distance between the starting point and ending point of an object's motion. Distance is a scalar quantity, while displacement is a vector quantity.

4. How do you calculate acceleration in kinematics?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. In one dimension, acceleration is represented by the slope of the velocity-time graph.

5. Where do two balls meet in kinematics in one dimension?

In kinematics in one dimension, two balls will meet when their positions are equal at the same time. This means that the two balls have the same displacement and velocity at a particular time, causing them to intersect on the position-time graph.