Behavior of foam: floating vs. submerged

In summary, the conversation explores the characteristics and behavior of a cylindrical glass containing a column of foam, specifically focusing on soap bubbles. The bubbles near the top of the column differ in size, geometry, surface width, and air pressure from those near the bottom. The foam is considered to be pliable and closed cell. The book "Foams" by Robert Prud'homme is recommended for further reading on the topic. The behavior of the foam is dynamic due to the drainage of liquid, resulting in more spherical bubbles at the bottom of the column. The conversation also discusses the potential limits for the number of neighboring bubbles and the effects of a sound wave passing through a medium of soap bubbles. There is a minimum viscosity required for a medium of
Loren Booda
Consider a cylindrical glass containing a column of foam. How do the characteristics (e.g. size, geometry, surface width, air pressure, etc.) of the bubbles near the top differ from those near the bottom?

Physics news on Phys.org
Andy,

Thanks for the specification. I was thinking about a foam of soap bubbles. Thus, I believe them pliable and closed cell.

The book you refer to is a bit pricey and extensive for my own needs here on PF, but I appreciate your recommendation in general.

I am under the impression that a column of soap bubbles compresses somewhat like the atmosphere does, exponential in character, but more visualizable.

The bubbles might form more complex geometry while progressing down the column -- more spherical near the top and more asymmetric near the bottom.

Also, bubble surface width on average would increase with increasing depth, to the extreme where there would be more soap volume than air volume.

Any contributions?

Inspiring images and videos%

I wonder if a soap bubble has a limit for the number of neighboring bubbles.

What would be the effect of a sound wave passing through a medium of soap bubbles?

What is the minimum viscosity for a medium of soap bubbles?

1. How does the density of foam affect its floating or submerged behavior?

The density of foam is a key factor in determining whether it will float or sink. Foam with a lower density will typically float, while foam with a higher density will sink. This is because the lower density foam is less dense than water, causing it to stay on the surface, while higher density foam is more dense and will sink below the water's surface.

2. Why does foam float on water?

Foam floats on water because it is less dense than water. This means that the foam is able to displace a greater amount of water than its own weight, resulting in it staying afloat. Additionally, the numerous air bubbles in foam contribute to its buoyancy, further helping it to float on the surface of the water.

3. How does the shape of foam affect its floating or submerged behavior?

The shape of foam can also play a role in its floating or submerged behavior. Foam with a flat or concave shape will typically float, as these shapes create more surface area and therefore more buoyancy. On the other hand, foam with a convex shape may sink as it has less surface area and therefore less buoyancy.

4. What causes foam to sink when it is initially floating on water?

Foam can sink when it is initially floating on water due to factors such as changes in temperature or pressure, or the addition of weight. For example, if the water temperature decreases, the air inside the foam bubbles may contract, causing the foam to lose its buoyancy and sink. Similarly, adding weight to the foam, such as placing a heavy object on top of it, can also cause it to sink.

5. Is there a difference in the behavior of natural foam (e.g. from waves) and manufactured foam?

Yes, there can be differences in the behavior of natural foam and manufactured foam. Natural foam, such as that found on ocean waves, is typically less dense and more malleable, allowing it to conform to the shape of the water and maintain its buoyancy. Manufactured foam, on the other hand, may have a higher density and be less flexible, making it more likely to sink when placed in water.