Being in Physics and Math double major

In summary: The American Physical Society (AAPM) is an organization that publishes research journals and holds conferences. It is also a membership organization, which means that you can access its member-only resources (like salary surveys) to get more accurate information about earning potential in a given field.

which is the most lucrative field in physics right now

• Chemical Physics

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Applied Physics

• Astrophysics

• Low Temperature Physics

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
VmanD
Hello Again.

I am new to the forum and this is actually the 2nd time I've asked a question. I wanted to get some insight into what Physics Majors that minor in math have the possibility of doing in the carrer world. I should note that I am in college pursuing my undergraduate degree in these fields. Upon completion I want to get an Masters in a High Energy or Applied Physics program. I have looked up different things online concerning this. I just wanted to see what some more defined people in the field would consider. Not to step on anyone's toes but education is not really an interest of mine. What fields and companies that have a demand for graduates in my program would also be appreciated. Mention of relevant and realistic salaries would also be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I put medicinal/health physics but I really mean biophysics.

Thanks for replying . Please encourage others to answer back to my question and post. By the way, why Biophysics?? I have read a scarce amount about it.

VmanD said:
Thanks for replying . Please encourage others to answer back to my question and post. By the way, why Biophysics?? I have read a scarce amount about it.
There's a lot of money in anything bio.

Hey is there any way for my post to be put on the forum so that more people can answer and comment on it .

Next time you may want to try giving your post a title that is more relevant to the quesion you are asking. From your title, one would suspect that your question has something to do with double majoring in math and physics rather than the the most lucrative field of physics.

Also, while I think I understand what you're getting at, this is a very difficult question to actually answer when you start to think about it. Are you talking about job opportunities for graduates? Job opportunities within the particular field? Earning potential with a graduate degree in a particular field?

Medical physics, for example, tends to have relatively high salaries. But it's not just an academic specialty. Medical physics is a recognized profession. The same could be said for geophysics. If you were to look at astropysics then, there really isn't a corresponding profession associated with it outside of academia. That doesn't mean however that someone with a PhD in astrophysics couldn't go out and get a job in finance or in the defence sector or even in medical physics (after some hoop-jumping)and end up with a very comfortable salary.

For medical physics, how "high" are we talking?

Everyone who is answering particles and fields is pulling your leg. Seriously. Applied physics and medical physics are the most employable areas right now.

No love for plasma physics?

Mépris said:
For medical physics, how "high" are we talking?

I always hesitate to give out numbers on this becase it's quite variable. If you're a student, I would recommend becoming a member of the AAPM for access to their annual salary surveys. That way you'll have what is likely the most reliable data on the matter.

For ballpark you're looking at less than most physicians and more than most engineers.

nucl34rgg said:
Everyone who is answering particles and fields is pulling your leg. Seriously. Applied physics and medical physics are the most employable areas right now.

lol but apparently everyone that does particles and fields becomes a high rolling quant at an investment bank... or so the legend goes...

"Also, while I think I understand what you're getting at, this is a very difficult question to actually answer when you start to think about it. Are you talking about job opportunities for graduates? Job opportunities within the particular field? Earning potential with a graduate degree in a particular field?"

You have a point choppy. I am talking about job opportunities for graduates in the particular master degree fields listed in my survey. The earning potential for each of these fields is also appreciated as it will help me assess which ones are the more lucrative. Also I want to do a graduate physics degree that is more experimental and hands on versus the ones that are mainly academic (ie. don't have much usage in industry).

I will also take your survey advice choppy and on the AAPM * what does it mean by the way?

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a double major in Physics and Math?

A double major in Physics and Math can provide a well-rounded education in both fields, allowing for a deeper understanding of the connections and applications between the two disciplines. This combination also opens up a wide range of career opportunities, as both Physics and Math are highly valued in industries such as engineering, finance, and technology.

2. Is it challenging to balance the coursework for a double major in Physics and Math?

Yes, pursuing a double major in Physics and Math can be challenging as it requires a significant amount of time and effort to excel in both subjects. However, with good time management and a strong passion for the subjects, it is possible to successfully balance the coursework for both majors.

3. What skills and qualities are important for success in a double major in Physics and Math?

Some important skills and qualities for success in a double major in Physics and Math include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, critical thinking, and a passion for learning and understanding complex concepts. Good time management and organizational skills are also essential for balancing the workload.

4. Are there any specific career paths or opportunities for those with a double major in Physics and Math?

A double major in Physics and Math can open up a variety of career paths, including research and development, data analysis and modeling, teaching, and engineering. Many industries value the analytical and problem-solving skills that are developed through a double major in Physics and Math, making graduates highly sought after in the job market.

5. Can a double major in Physics and Math lead to other academic pursuits, such as graduate school?

Yes, a double major in Physics and Math can provide a strong foundation for further academic pursuits, such as graduate school. Many graduate programs in fields such as physics, engineering, and applied mathematics seek students with a background in both Physics and Math, making a double major advantageous for those considering pursuing higher education.