Belt friction - determining angles

In summary, the problem involves determining the range of weight values for block A to maintain equilibrium in a system with three 2-in-radius pulleys. The pulleys C and E are locked, and the coefficients of friction for the cable and pulleys are given. The main challenge is determining the appropriate angles to use in the equations, and further analysis may be needed to solve the second part of the problem.
O011235813

Homework Statement

A cable passes around three 2-in-radius pulleys and supports 2 blocks as shown. Pulleys C and E are locked to prevent rotatoin, and the coefficient of friction between the cable adn the pulleys are static = .20 and kinetic = .15. Determine the range of value of the weight of black A for which equilibrium is maintained (a) if pully D is locked, (b) if pully di is free to rotate.

http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=circleproblemit0.jpg

Homework Equations

ln(T2/T1) = static * angle

The Attempt at a Solution

The main problem I'm having is determining the angles to be used. I can see it's a 30/60/90 triangle. So i tried using pi/3 for the D and pi/6 for C, and that didn't work.

Then i used pi/3 still for D and changed pi/6 to 2*pi/3. And that didn't work. If anyone could help me with just the angles that'd be much appreciated. I think i have everything after that down. Thanks for all the help :D

Physics news on Phys.org
nvm i figured it out :D

actually...now that I'm trying to figure out the 2nd part...i can't get it...do i have to use a couple system at D or something of that sort? use moments? or am i over thinking it? thanks once again for any help :D

What is belt friction and how is it determined?

Belt friction is the resistance force that occurs when two objects, such as a belt and a pulley, are in contact and one object is moving. It is determined by the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces and the angle at which the belt is wrapped around the pulley.

How do I calculate the angle for belt friction?

The angle for belt friction can be calculated using the formula θ = tan-1(μ), where θ is the angle of wrap and μ is the coefficient of friction. Alternatively, you can use the formula θ = sin-1(μ), which takes into account the tension in the belt.

What is the coefficient of friction and how does it affect belt friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless value that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. A higher coefficient of friction means there is more resistance, resulting in a greater angle of wrap and a higher belt friction force. Conversely, a lower coefficient of friction will result in less resistance and a smaller angle of wrap.

Can the angle of belt wrap be changed to reduce friction?

Yes, the angle of wrap can be changed to reduce friction. A larger angle of wrap will result in a greater belt friction force, while a smaller angle of wrap will result in a lower belt friction force. Therefore, by adjusting the angle of wrap, you can control the amount of friction in the system.

How does belt tension affect belt friction?

Belt tension plays a significant role in belt friction. A higher tension will result in a smaller angle of wrap and a lower belt friction force, while a lower tension will result in a larger angle of wrap and a higher belt friction force. Therefore, it is important to consider and adjust belt tension when determining the angle for belt friction.