1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Belt friction - determining angles

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cable passes around three 2-in-radius pulleys and supports 2 blocks as shown. Pulleys C and E are locked to prevent rotatoin, and the coefficient of friction between the cable adn the pulleys are static = .20 and kinetic = .15. Determine the range of value of the weight of black A for which equilibrium is maintained (a) if pully D is locked, (b) if pully di is free to rotate.

2. Relevant equations

ln(T2/T1) = static * angle

3. The attempt at a solution

The main problem i'm having is determining the angles to be used. I can see it's a 30/60/90 triangle. So i tried using pi/3 for the D and pi/6 for C, and that didn't work.

Then i used pi/3 still for D and changed pi/6 to 2*pi/3. And that didn't work. If anyone could help me with just the angles that'd be much appreciated. I think i have everything after that down. Thanks for all the help :D
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2
    sorry the image didn't show up ... let me try this

4. Nov 9, 2008 #3
    nvm i figured it out :D
  5. Nov 9, 2008 #4
    actually...now that i'm trying to figure out the 2nd part....i can't get it...do i have to use a couple system at D or something of that sort? use moments? or am i over thinking it? thanks once again for any help :D
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?