Bending Moment & Bending Stress

In summary, the equation provided is used to calculate bending stress for a cross section and includes the variables Moment (M), Distance From Neutral Axis (Z), and Second Moment Of Area (I). The unknown variable W refers to the section modulus, which is the moment of inertia divided by the distance from the neutral axis to the farthest fibers. This term is not commonly used in English literature but can be found in non-English books.
tomtomtom1
TL;DR Summary
Bending Moment & Bending Stress
Bending Stress = Moment (M) * Distance From Neutral Axis (Z) / Second Moment Of Area (I)
Hello all

I was wondering if anyone could figure out the what the equation below means, specifically the W term?

stress.JPG

The equation to calculate bending stress for a cross section that i have used and i know is correct is:-

Bending Stress = Moment (M) * Distance From Neutral Axis (Z) / Second Moment Of Area (I)

I cannot for the life of me figure out what W refers to??

Can anyone help?

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
W stands for section modulus - moment of inertia divided by the distance from neutral axis to fibers for which we calculate bending stress (typically farthest ones). It's rarely used in English literature but can be often found in non-English books.

• Informative
Likes Joe591, tomtomtom1 and JBA

What is bending moment?

Bending moment is a measure of the bending or flexing of a structural member due to an applied load. It is the product of the applied force and the distance from the point of application to the point of rotation.

How is bending moment calculated?

Bending moment can be calculated by multiplying the applied force by the distance from the point of application to the point of rotation. This is known as the moment arm or lever arm.

What is bending stress?

Bending stress is the stress or force per unit area that is induced in a structural member due to the bending moment. It is a measure of the internal forces that are generated as a result of the applied load.

How is bending stress calculated?

Bending stress can be calculated by dividing the bending moment by the section modulus of the structural member. The section modulus takes into account the shape and size of the member, as well as its material properties.

What are some common applications of bending moment and bending stress calculations?

Bending moment and bending stress calculations are commonly used in the design and analysis of structural members, such as beams, columns, and trusses. They are also important in the design of machine components, such as gears and shafts, which are subjected to bending loads.